Comparative look at small punch sizes... Hairtech

On the Right is a standard 1.0mm punch. On the left is a 0.75mm punch. I am just throwing this out there for comments and reviews by all interested in small punch sizes.:slight_smile:

» On the Right is a standard 1.0mm punch. On the left is a 0.75mm punch. I
» am just throwing this out there for comments and reviews by all interested
» in small punch sizes.:slight_smile:
»

Sorry… Left is 0.75mm and right is 1.0mm. :smiley:

They look almost the same to me. You could have told me the right one was 0.75 and I would believe you.

» They look almost the same to me. You could have told me the right one was
» 0.75 and I would believe you.

They almost look the same however they are not. Look at the wall thickness of the right. Nevertheless, that subtle difference in punch size has a huge impact on the donor area. If the punch size is to increase slightly above the 1.0mm punch… based on experience, I noticed a significance in the donor area during surgery as well as post operatively.

Hairtech can you do an experiment and punch on a piece of paper with both? This will make it easier to tell how big the perimeter is.

» Hairtech can you do an experiment and punch on a piece of paper with both?
» This will make it easier to tell how big the perimeter is.

You are the man! Well, if you ask me, it’s not that big a difference, don’t you think?

Yes they look almost the same. The difference in diameter, what your eye sees to comprehend a difference in size, is only .25 mm. ¼ of a millimeter is an awfully small difference to see. However, what is harder for the eye to comprehend is the difference in area. The area of the punched out paper for the 1mm is (3.14 X .52) = .785 sq mm. The area of the .75 hole is (3.14 X .3752 ) = .44 sq mm. Again, the area of the .75 mm punch is .44/.785 or 56% of the size of the 1mm punch hole. It is harder for your eye to detect that amount of difference, but I think it’s obvious in the scalp tissue as we saw in the other photo. After extraction the wound opens a little and exaggerates the difference.

Dr. harris

Yes they look almost the same. The difference in diameter, what your eye sees to comprehend a difference in size, is only .25 mm. ¼ of a millimeter is an awfully small difference to see. However, what is harder for the eye to comprehend is the difference in area. The area of the punched out paper for the 1mm is (3.14 X .52) = .785 sq mm. The area of the .75 hole is (3.14 X .3752 ) = .44 sq mm. Again, the area of the .75 mm punch is .44/.785 or 56% of the size of the 1mm punch hole. It is harder for your eye to detect that amount of difference, but I think it’s obvious in the scalp tissue as we saw in the other photo. After extraction the wound opens a little and exaggerates the difference. Now look at this picture. The circled holes are the same punch at 1.0mm and the holes without the circles are the same punch at 0.75mm.

Dr. Harris

The difference is more dramatic here.
Hairtech

Our skin has very good elasticity, even with a 1 mm punch the hole will shrink soon after the punch is removed. I’m more concerned about how white dots are formed in the donor and I doubt it’s simply because the doctor is using a 1 mm punch. Good topic btw.

it’s amazing how the most talked about issue on this forum is also the topic most ignored by the docs.
We can only hope that Docs like Woods/Umar can continue to invest time into trying to perfect their techniques to avoid these white dots.

your calculations have to be wrong

there is no way that one of those circles area is twice the area of the smaller circle, I will get back to you with the calcuation

» your calculations have to be wrong
»
» there is no way that one of those circles area is twice the area of the
» smaller circle, I will get back to you with the calcuation

radius of 1mm = .5
radius of .75 = .325
Pi = 3.14

surface area = Pi * R2

3.14 * (.325*.325)

and
3.14 * (.5*.5)

In my opinion since I had a little over 1100 grafts taken out there is no issue with whites dots unless you are getting a ht to then shave down to the bone. And even at this ponit . It’s nothing that would make people notice. At least not in my case. I shaved down to the bone for 7 months and my Fue extraction sites where never a issue but my strip scar that is something else. Also you have to realise all these photos you will see on the internet will be magnified . A small space under real close inspection yes. Remember you are removing a hair. But like in the strip scar it is only as good as the doc and the consitent technique they are using.

» » your calculations have to be wrong
» »
» » there is no way that one of those circles area is twice the area of the
» » smaller circle, I will get back to you with the calcuation
»
» radius of 1mm = .5
» radius of .75 = .325
» Pi = 3.14
»
» surface area = Pi * R2
»
» 3.14 * (.325*.325)
» =
» and
» 3.14 * (.5*.5)
» =

wrong on the first calculation…half of .75 is .375 not .325
so the first area of the .75 would be .375 X .375 x 3.14 =.44

this still seems plausible however visually there is no way that this is accurate
does that one look half the size of other

I think the punch sizes were misquoted

» » » your calculations have to be wrong
» » »
» » » there is no way that one of those circles area is twice the area of
» the
» » » smaller circle, I will get back to you with the calcuation
» »
» » radius of 1mm = .5
» » radius of .75 = .325
» » Pi = 3.14
» »
» » surface area = Pi * R2
» »
» » 3.14 * (.325*.325)
» » =
» » and
» » 3.14 * (.5*.5)
» » =
»
» wrong on the first calculation…half of .75 is .375 not
» so the first area of the .75 would be .375 X .375 x 3.14 =.44
»
» this still seems plausible however visually there is no way that this is
» accurate
» does that one look half the size of other
»
» I think the punch sizes were misquoted

I was tempted to go back and edit my post:-P :stuck_out_tongue:

It is indeed about twice the area. It’s just one of those illusions because the outer perimeter of a circle takes up so much space for just a little change. If you just loose one cm more around the outer edge of the bald spot you need a lot lot more grafts. That’s what’s worrying me:-(

if your calc is correct, it is actually more than twice the size of a .75 mm punch. it’s 236% bigger to be exact, now that’s scarry

» if your calc is correct, it is actually more than twice the size of a .75
» mm punch. it’s 236% bigger to be exact, now that’s scarry

3000 FUE at 1mm is about 2400 mm2 removed

That is about 24cm2

that is the same as a strip of 2cm*12cm AND THERE IS NO STITCHES TO CLOSE THE WOUNDS

NO WONDER THERE ARE WHITE DOTS.

A complex arguement develops from there about FUE stratergy and explains the problems with large mega sessions and the moth eaten look.

Not so fast, the radius of .75 is .375, not .325. Your math is incorrect.

» Not so fast, the radius of .75 is .375, not .325. Your math is incorrect.

i already said that…the calculation comes out to be for a 1mm punch .79mm2 or area of the circle

and for a .75mm punch its

.44m2 or area of the circle