Cole\'s new technology

It is a special instrument that he has devised. It extracts grafts much faster and apparently easier. It will lower the cost and raise the number of grafts that can be harvested in a day. He claims there will be no need to shave the donor now. All sounds good, but word is there have been some delays and it is not ready to be announced.

» It is a special instrument that he has devised. It extracts grafts much
» faster and apparently easier. It will lower the cost and raise the number
» of grafts that can be harvested in a day. He claims there will be no need
» to shave the donor now. All sounds good, but word is there have been some
» delays and it is not ready to be announced.

Interesting. Will he be presenting this on his website or at ISHRS?

Ya thats what i thought that there is going to be delays its always like that with new technology,hope its not all hype.

What about the cost? How low is it going to get?

» » It is a special instrument that he has devised. It extracts grafts much
» » faster and apparently easier. It will lower the cost and raise the
» number
» » of grafts that can be harvested in a day. He claims there will be no
» need
» » to shave the donor now. All sounds good, but word is there have been
» some
» » delays and it is not ready to be announced.
»
» Interesting. Will he be presenting this on his website or at ISHRS?

I thought you would know when the launch is as you are affiliated, will the new technology be available in USA and Europe too at Dr Mwamba office

I guess we’ll have to wait and see…:wink:

» What about the cost? How low is it going to get?

That’s definitely the question on most of our minds. If the technology is “a special instrument that[…]extracts grafts much faster and apparently easier”, that doesn’t suggest the new technology will be directly related to uncut hair only. In other words, it may drop the cost of shaved procedures (currently $8/g) to a lower price and unshaved procedures (currently $20/g) to a lower price that is still higher than shaved. Ever since the initial announcement I had been thinking that there would no difference between the cost of shaved or unshaved. Now I don’t think that makes any sense. No matter what instrument he has come up with, a shaved head will be easier and quicker to work with, so shaved procedures will be cheaper than unshaved.

I expect that the cost of unshaved procedures will come down (because the original announcement mentions the new technology and unshaved procedures), and I think the cost of shaved procedures may drop slightly, too. I’ll be surprised if either drops to the bargain basement prices some here have suggested, though. Of course, I like surprises. :wink:

The future is a non-shaven procedure. The problem has always been that such a procedure is technically a more difficult procedure and far more time consuming. We do a great deal of the non-shaven now so it is something that we are becoming better at daily. If you want the non-shaven, you simply need to keep your hair a little longer and I can get the job done for you. It also takes a little longer to prepare the area we are going to work in. Currently, I’m not sure I can do very large sessions with this technique, however. Time will tell. This is the future, however. People need to be discreet in how they have their hair restored. I think this means a great deal to them.

The new technology is something I have 5 engineers working on right now. We’ve tested the first prototype already. It does work, but it needs modifications that are going to take time. It does not meet our standards yet. We don’t plan to offer it until it is ready for general use. I cannot get into how it works currently as it is a proprietary technology that we have a considerable amount of time and money invested in. When we are able to work out the details, I think all physicians will be interested in the technology. There is no telling how long this development will take.

Instruments take time to develop. I have a relatively simple instrument that takes the all the work out of recipient site counting. Currently, I have to count the sites and I always have someone counting with me to verify the counting is accurate. This instrument does the work for you and it is completely accurate. It is consumer friendly, disposable, and is highly accurate even when someone makes the sites as fast as they can. We were supposed to have this available to the all physicians in December. We had to make some minor changes to the electronic circuit. This pushed the delivery date to the end of February. We felt the problem was resolved, but it wasn’t. Now we have postponed delivery once again. This is how it goes with instruments. Until we work out all the kinks, we simply will not offer the product.

I apologize for the delays, but as long as we have a time tested manual method, I see no reason to roll out a new technology until is it perfected, tested, and the results are verified. I have over 1.5 million grafts and over 1000 cases today that I have treated with our method of FUE. The method has a very long track history of consistent results with scalp hair. Perfecting the technology will take time and I have no idea what that time frame is at this point. Verifying results might take an additional year.

I suspect the tool is actually a modified version of the flowbee