CLONAL AGING Paramecium Mitosis LIMIT

AHA! Found it in a study of cellular clonal aging

" . . . a cell cannot undergo unlimited reproduction . . . and undergoes senescence.

. . . Paramecium has a limit of vegetative reproduction without sexual reproduction but Tetrahymena does not always have a limited lifespan.

“Comparing the two species would increase our knowledge of the mechanism of cellular clonal aging.

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B758D-47T1P43-7&_user=10&_coverDate=01%2F31%2F1992&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1375555238&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b85c61de5f761317be543eff945c8c33

Pretty good memory I have, considering I read about this around forty years ago.

Congrats Ahab.
As I have said before, it seems that the type of conditioned media thats used for the cell expansion, determines the success/failure of that expansion.
I learned this from a ICX patent (multiplication of DP cells). I don’t know if what I read was a fairy tale or a reality. According to this, if you choose the correct media, the cells will replicate with no degradation.

Going back to your post, do you know if cell multiplication can be done by sexual reproduction? I mean, can stem cells be multiplied by sexual activity?
(sorry if my question is stupid).

» AHA! Found it in a study of cellular clonal aging
»
» " . . . a cell cannot undergo unlimited reproduction . . . and
» undergoes senescence.
»
» . . . Paramecium has a limit of vegetative reproduction without
» sexual reproduction
but Tetrahymena does not always have a limited
» lifespan.
»
» “Comparing the two species would increase our knowledge of the mechanism
» of cellular clonal aging.

»
» Link:
» http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B758D-47T1P43-7&_user=10&_coverDate=01%2F31%2F1992&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1375555238&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b85c61de5f761317be543eff945c8c33
»
»
» Pretty good memory I have, considering I read about this around forty
» years ago.

» Congrats Ahab.
» As I have said before, it seems that the type of conditioned media thats
» used for the cell expansion, determines the success/failure of that
» expansion.
» I learned this from a ICX patent (multiplication of DP cells). I don’t
» know if what I read was a fairy tale or a reality. According to this, if
» you choose the correct media, the cells will replicate with no
» degradation.
»
» Going back to your post, do you know if cell multiplication can be done by
» sexual reproduction? I mean, can stem cells be multiplied by sexual
» activity?
» (sorry if my question is stupid).

Beats me. But I doubt it.

However, I wonder if anyone ever investigated such a possibility?

In any event, the info in my previous post also says that “Tetrahymena does not always have a limited lifespan.”

So what is true for the Paramecium is not always true for at least one other critter.