Capsaicin - anyone heard of this?

http://home.arcor.de/gekkehenk/HW/IGF-I/Administration%20of%20capsaicin%20and%20isoflavone%20promotes%20hair%20growth%20by%20increasing%20insulin-like%20growth%20factor-I%20production%20in%20mice%20and%20in%20humans%20with%20alopecia.pdf

Anyone know anything about this?

sorry if old news

Capsaicin is what makes hot peppers hot. Many people have tried using capsaicin, but I’ve never heard of anybody getting any great results from it. I know some people have tried putting cayenne pepper in their minoxidil. But again, I’ve never heard of anybody getting any significant results (just a red, hot head). I would search through the topicals section, as it’s probably been discussed a lot there.

Effect of topical application of capsaicin and its related compounds on dermal insulin-like growth factor-I levels in mice and on facial skin elasticity in humans.

Growth Horm IGF Res. 2007 Apr;17(2):171-6

Capsaicin increases calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) release from sensory neurons by stimulating vanilloid receptor-1 (VR-1). Since CGRP increases production of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in fetal osteoblasts in vitro, it is possible that sensory neuron activation by capsaicin increases production of IGF-I.

In the present study, we attempted to determine whether topical application of capsaicin and related compounds increases dermal IGF-I level in mice and whether it increases facial skin elasticity in humans. Topical application of 0.01% capsaicin significantly increased dermal IGF-I levels from 30 to 180min (p<0.01), but not at 360min, after application in mice.

Topical application of 0.01% capsaicinoids (dihydrocapsaicin and nordihydrocapsaicin), 0.01% capsinoids (capsiate, dihydrocapsiate and nordihydrocapsiate), 0.01% anandamide (an endogenous agonist of VR-1), and 0.01% nonylic acid vanillylamide (a synthetic capsaicin) significantly increased dermal IGF-I levels at 30min after topical application in mice (p<0.01). Topical application of 0.01% capsaicin to faces of 17 healthy female volunteers for seven days significantly increased cheek skin elasticity (p<0.01).

These observations suggest that topical application of capsaicin and related compounds might be useful in the treatment of detrimental morphological changes of the skin in patients with growth hormone deficiency and those in the elderly by increasing dermal IGF-I levels.

» Capsaicin is what makes hot peppers hot. Many people have tried using
» capsaicin, but I’ve never heard of anybody getting any great results from
» it. I know some people have tried putting cayenne pepper in their
» minoxidil. But again, I’ve never heard of anybody getting any significant
» results (just a red, hot head). I would search through the topicals
» section, as it’s probably been discussed a lot there.