Can\'t our Numbers be of Any Help

» Regardless of what is happening in the world (possible revolution in Iran,
» nuclear N. Korea, worst economy since the 30’s, 2 wars, global warming,
» 2012 reelection, etc.) no US president is going to give a rat’s ass about
» balding men, with the possible exception of Gerald Ford.

That’s why I said we should NOT make it just about baldness. We should request research funding because baldness has been linked with diabetes & cardiac diseases - the leading killers of men in US. Btw, heart disease IS the number one killer of men in US!

So there is a must need to explore this relation further - which will definitely help our cause. Doing so will also set the stage for getting more research funding for baldness later. But like I said earlier, asking straight for money to cure hairloss will fall on deaf ears.

» A president isn’t gonna respond either way.

The current administration boasts about keeping more open communication between White house and the public. The president might ignore email/letter from one person, but if it’s signed by a few thousand people - which we can quite easily do, then he would have to respond.

» I think you guys are worrying too much about being mocked. Maybe on a
» comedy show but not on someplace like Oprah for example.

Oprah did mention baldness when the doc was talking about ACELL on her show, however, as soon as she said “can it be used to regrow hair?”, the whole audience laughed - that’s what people think of this disease. Still, as influential as Oprah is, the comedians also have good influence these days i.e. Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert etc and none of them are bald - so I’d expect typical response from them regarding baldness.

cal, I don’t know about you. But i’ve tried to reason with people(mostly family & close friends) about baldness. Trust me they just don’t get it - nobody does! One girl started comparing my NW6 to women who have excessive hair on arms & legs - WTF??? I tried to explain that removing hair from body is much different and easily do-able than having a shiny crown - but she just kept arguging that you don’t understand, for women to have any hair on body is a big psychological issue. How can you reason with people who think like that?? and try telling anyone to shave their head and you’ll get the usual response, “it’s very acceptable these days for men to go bald” “shaving head is in these days, so don’t worry”, “you’re not alone, I see a lot of guys balding these days, something to do with the food we eat now”, “you know, I know this girl she really likes bald men”…blah blah blah.

I still believe, its much easier to get a lot of people to sign a petition and forward our issue to directly to president. Oprah etc can be very helpful but at the same time could literally kill our cause.

» cal, I don’t know about you. But i’ve tried to reason with people(mostly
» family & close friends) about baldness. Trust me they just don’t get it -
» nobody does! One girl started comparing my NW6 to women who have excessive
» hair on arms & legs - WTF??? I tried to explain that removing hair from
» body is much different and easily do-able than having a shiny crown - but
» she just kept arguging that you don’t understand, for women to have any
» hair on body is a big psychological issue. How can you reason with people
» who think like that?? and try telling anyone to shave their head and you’ll
» get the usual response, “it’s very acceptable these days for men to go
» bald” “shaving head is in these days, so don’t worry”, “you’re not alone, I
» see a lot of guys balding these days, something to do with the food we eat
» now”, “you know, I know this girl she really likes bald men”…blah blah
» blah.
»
» I still believe, its much easier to get a lot of people to sign a petition
» and forward our issue to directly to president. Oprah etc can be very
» helpful but at the same time could literally kill our cause.

With the “offer them money to shave down” example, it won’t work if it’s theoretical. You bring it up and of course they start to reason with you that it’s not a big deal, like you said.

It only starts to work when you force it - “No, I mean RIGHT NOW, TONIGHT, what do I have to pay you to shave your head in a NW#7 pattern? We can go to an ATM after we leave here.”

This is when they start with the excuses, “oh, but shaved down is just not my look” or “I never said I WANNA be bald, I’m just saying I could live with it if it acually happened to me.”

And here’s where you start making some progress by not backing off: “NO! ‘I just don’t wanna do it right now’ is exactly the point! Guys like me are going bald whether it’s ‘their look’ or ‘a good time’ or not! Now, YOU ARE GOING TO WORK TOMORROW SHAVED BALD. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I HAVE TO WITHDRAW FROM THE CASH MACHINE ON THE WAY HOME?