Body Hair Transplant (BHT) results & recouping

Interesting question.

We already know that donor hair from the back of the scalp (which is not greatly impacted by DHT) grows for many years when moved to the front (though not permanently as is popularly portrayed).

So I don’t see why body hair wouldn’t continue to grow for many years too.

» I have a question and anyone besides the doctor who might have any
» knowledge is welcome to respond also. Its an established fact that DHT has
» no detrimental affects on body hair, in fact quite the opposite. Given this
» fact, will body hair retain this property once its transplanted to the
» scalp? If it does then, thats something very amazing, if not, has it been
» proven that body hair will fall victim to DHT once it is on the scalp? I
» have limited knowledge, but it seems like an intriguing question to ask.

I think some posters once said that using Propecia will affect the yield of body hair when transplanted to the scalp. No proof or anything but interesting hypothesis anyway.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-1552.html

The importance of understanding hair growth cycles in BHT.

Quote from the post________________________________________________

Dear forum readers,
The following is part of the advice we give all our bht patients. I feel it will be of benefit to all bht patients alike.

Unlike the scalp donor hair, the body donor hair differs from the scalp hair in many variables.

Two of them-

1. Speed of growth of hair.
  2. %age of hair in growing phase, make a significant impact in certain situations.

Patients who go for a buzz cut/shave, long after their bht, will notice that a few weeks later, the scalp hair would have grown quite a bit but the body hair may not be visible to the same extent as it was earlier.

That is because, on one hand, buzz cut/shave ensured that the non growing (but still visible) hair have been got rid of.
On the other hand, since the speed of growth of body hair is much slower compared to the scalp hair, it may not be noticeable for a few weeks at least.
Thus, if one gets a bht or a hybrid (bht +scalp) procedure, one should either keep a buzz cut or a normal grown out hair length.
Yo-yo hair cuts, (alternately buzz cutting and then growing the hair long), is likely to make the coverage seem much less than what it is. This becomes more important as time passes and the transplanted body hair cycles become out of synch.

Therefore, one should not attempt to alternately buzz cut the scalp followed by letting it grow.
If one does so, please be aware that for a period of time following the buzz cut, till all the body hair again grows back, the appearance will be markedly thinner.

The first cycle after a BHT, most of the hair being in relatively synchronized hair growth cycles, will show a high number of hair in the active growth phase.
Over time, as the synchronicity of these growth cycles disintegrates, the coverage provided by these transplanted body hair, will depend on many factors. Some, atleast, will be in control of the patient. Awareness of those factors will aid the patient in getting the maximum benefit from the BHTs.

Following is a graphic illustration that depicts how the synchronization of the hair cycles disintegrates over time. Each hair has its own unique hair cycle. It may get a boost depending on various factors. However, the growth cycles will not radically change from one type to another.

»
» Dr A, can you show where the beard hair were placed exactly in the pic?
» How long is his hair 1-2 inches?

Beard hair were transplanted in the outlined area of the picture.

The same area has other donor hair transplanted (including some from the scalp and others from different body donor areas).

» “Beard hair, transplanted correctly, does not look conspicous if the hair
» are grown longer or if the hair are buzz cut.” No one said the hair
» would never grow. One just has to ask themselves if they want this hair on
» their head. If left isolated and this can happen with further loss. It will
» stick out . That was seen before. The doc took it with strip that is bad
» enough but the planting should be no different as far as angling these
» hairs correctly. Dr. Beehmer as far as I know has been doing succsessful
» strip for years. But it is strip nothing new with that. I hope these
» patients are being shown what hundreds of beard hair look like on patients
» before there surgery’s.

I do not know of any clinic recommending transplanting beard hair all by itself in any area. Dr. A advises that when using facial hair, it should be used mixed with other donor hair.

Dear forum readers,
The following is apatient in which different parts of the strip scar was transplanted using different donor hair.

We found the part where the thicker calibre hair was transplanted had much better coverage.
The grafts were transplanted and have grown in the outlined area, thus, breaking the scar. 10 beard hair were used for the purpose.

The part where the thin calibre blond hair were transplanted, the hair grew. However, there was little coverage.
The outlined area shows one part of the strip scar with the red and blue marks for sake of reference.

The immediate post op picture showing the graft placement of the fine calibre hair.

These and many similar patient observations form the basis of our advise regarding BHT.

Regards,
Dr. A

» » I have a question and anyone besides the doctor who might have any
» » knowledge is welcome to respond also. Its an established fact that DHT
» has
» » no detrimental affects on body hair, in fact quite the opposite. Given
» this
» » fact, will body hair retain this property once its transplanted to the
» » scalp? If it does then, thats something very amazing, if not, has it
» been
» » proven that body hair will fall victim to DHT once it is on the scalp?
» I
» » have limited knowledge, but it seems like an intriguing question to
» ask.
»
» I think some posters once said that using Propecia will affect the yield
» of body hair when transplanted to the scalp. No proof or anything but
» interesting hypothesis anyway.

This is a very important topic. Perhaps it explains why some people got no growth after getting BHT done? Propecia has the opposite effect on body hair.

Dr Arvind,

The pic looks very convincing. Do you recommend beard hair as the #1 choice for fixing strip scars?

Johnp i agree and i am shocked that it has not received more attention. As the doctor here stated earlier that body hair retains its characteristics even when transplanted to the scalp, so logically one should assume that it carries with it also its invulnerability to DHT. I wonder how many BHT patients used propecia after their HT and saw no growth. Dr. Arvind here shows no interest in this very important topic either, quite curious.

» Johnp i agree and i am shocked that it has not received more attention. As
» the doctor here stated earlier that body hair retains its characteristics
» even when transplanted to the scalp, so logically one should assume that
» it carries with it also its invulnerability to DHT. I wonder how many BHT
» patients used propecia after their HT and saw no growth. Dr. Arvind here
» shows no interest in this very important topic either, quite curious.

This topic deserves a thread of its own. I remember Dr. Umar asks his BHT patients not to use Propecia several weeks prior to the surgery as a precaution.

» I have a question and anyone besides the doctor who might have any
» knowledge is welcome to respond also. Its an established fact that DHT has
» no detrimental affects on body hair, in fact quite the opposite. Given this
» fact, will body hair retain this property once its transplanted to the
» scalp? If it does then, thats something very amazing, if not, has it been
» proven that body hair will fall victim to DHT once it is on the scalp? I
» have limited knowledge, but it seems like an intriguing question to ask.

Dear Apesmith,

A subset of people taking finasteride may encounter feminizing side effects as well as decrease in robustness of the body hair.

Its ideal to try DHT inhibitors for a period of time (6 months to 1 year), before BHT. If you notice any significant decrease in the quality/quantity of body hair, the patient and the doctor will need to decide between the two.

Regards,
Dr. A

»
» Dear Apesmith,
»
» A subset of people taking finasteride may encounter feminizing side
» effects as well as decrease in robustness of the body hair.
»
» Its ideal to try DHT inhibitors for a period of time (6 months to 1 year),
» before BHT. If you notice any significant decrease in the quality/quantity
» of body hair, the patient and the doctor will need to decide between the
» two.
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Don’t remember so much with propecia, but there was a clear and distinct reduction in body hair caliber, growth and density when I was on Dutasteride/Avodart. I stopped 8 months prior to my first body hair procedure. I stopped because of the sides and when I saw the potential of BHT.

If it was me (IMHO), it would be an “either OR” (DHT inhibitor OR BHT), but not to have high expectations with BHT while taking an internal DHT inhibitor.

I’ve been on Propecia for over 15 years without any noticeable sides.

Before my BHT procedure, Dr. Umar sternly warned me to cut down the dose at least.

Now I take 1/4 Proscar every other day or so.

IMO, and I’m no doc, I think if you’ve been on Propecia for years and your body hair hasn’t changed, you should be ok.

What you have body-hair-wise going in should be what you get (but there are other factors).
I have no ides about other DHT blockers.

My 2 cents.

» Dr Arvind,
»
» The pic looks very convincing. Do you recommend beard hair as the #1
» choice for fixing strip scars?

Dear Stitchmeup,
We do not recommend use of beard hair ONLY for fixing the strip scars.
Such a situation may lead to the strip scar being replaced by a linear zone of thick calibre coarse hair.
That will not look very natural if the patient cuts his hair short.

Its advisable to use the beard hair mixed with other robust body andsome scalp hair for treating the strip scar.

Other options include just breaking the linear scar into smaller pieces (thereby using less number of grafts).

If beard hair is the only available donor resource, we feel it should be transplanted at a very low density per sq cm.
Regards,
Dr. A

V, the results of BHT shown are excellent and also I like the way your clinic has documented the results.

Since I plan to have BHT in the future I guess, I kept thinking and analyzing the graph you posted for several days. Id like to share my view on the graph of the BHT cycles.

Lets assume that the body hairs which are transplanted onto scalp are in 3 anagen phases (A, C, D as shown in the figure above)

Once the BHT starts growing and has completed several growth cycles, that is, it has stabilized, the body hair cycles I feel would grow in the following pattern below -

At time point A = (Lets say) 50% of body hair is GROWING

At time point B = (Lets say) 0% of body hair is GROWING

At time point C = (Lets say) 25% of body hair is GROWING

At time point D = (Lets say) 25% of body hair is GROWING

So my point is - Once the above cycle is completed again it follows the pattern of A then to B..C and D and so on.

[P.S. Another important thing as you and many other posters know is although at point B there is 0% hair GROWING it does not mean there is no BODY hair on the scalp. So at point B there COULD be BODY hair but its just not growing.]

Id like to have everyones opinion.

»

» Lets assume that the body hairs which are transplanted onto scalp are in 3
» anagen phases (A, C, D as shown in the figure above)
»
» Once the BHT starts growing and has completed several growth cycles, that
» is, it has stabilized, the body hair cycles I feel would grow in the
» following pattern below -
»
» At time point A = (Lets say) 50% of body hair is GROWING
»
» At time point B = (Lets say) 0% of body hair is GROWING
»
» At time point C = (Lets say) 25% of body hair is GROWING
»
» At time point D = (Lets say) 25% of body hair is GROWING

»
»
» So my point is - Once the above cycle is completed again it follows the
» pattern of A then to B…C and D and so on.

»
» [P.S. Another important thing as you and many other posters know is
» although at point B there is 0% hair GROWING it does not mean
» there is no BODY hair on the scalp. So at point B there COULD be BODY hair
» but its just not growing.]
»
» Id like to have everyones opinion.

Dear Carrot,
Yes, the graph indicates the way the hair cycles lose their synchronicity.

At the first upswing you may notice >90% of the hair in active growing phase, while in the first downswing as little as 15 to 20% may be in the active growth phase.
The swings should slowly stabilise to 50% in successive hair growth cycles.

I dont think there will be any time with 0% being in growth phase.

There is an additional factor too.

All the hair in telogen need not have shed (the shed phase/event is actually called exogen).
The unshed telogen hair can also provide coverage. Keeping the hair buzz cut or being gentle in their care may help the telogen hair to stay in situ longer.

Regards,
Dr. A