Bigmacs HT #4 with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi all.

This is my HT journey.

I flew from Newcastle airport on Saturday morning to Amsterdam with KLM which took one hour. Then it was a direct flight to Minneapolis with NWA which took eight hours.

Arrived at the airport at 3.30pm, went through customs and got the hotel shuttle (mini bus) to the hotel which took about 20 minutes. The hotel was the Country Inn and Suites. This is a nice hotel and is five minutes from Shapiro Medical Group. One extra bonus the hotel had was free use of computers with internet access. It cost me £637 all in with flight and accommodations for three nights.

There are quite a few sports bars and restaurants a few minutes walk from the hotel and a downtown area which has loads of bars, restaurants, shops etc.

I also visited the Mall of America which is a huge shopping centre full of everything you need. It’s one of the biggest malls in the world. The hotel shuttle will take you to and from the airport, Mall of America and to SMG as a free service. The hotel is used to SMG patients and the shuttle bus drivers too. They were all very friendly. The hotel gives discounts to SMG patients. The discount rate is $99 per night.

Met Janna on Sunday for lunch and she showed me around the downtown areas. There are two downtowns. One is Minneapolis and the other is St. Paul. The two cities are close within 15 minutes drive of each other. The center of the 2 downtown has skyways – walkways from building to building above the streets so you don’t have to go outside in bad weather. They were both beautiful clean cities.

Monday morning Janna picked me up and took me to SMG. I met Dr Shapiro and we talked about my expectations and he examined my hair. Then I was in the chair. Got my anesthetic needles in my scalp which I never felt a thing as they use a vibrating tool. Dr Shapiro removed my strip and then the techs starting the cutting while I was being sutured up and then Dr Shapiro made the incisions for my new hair. When about 90% of the incisions were made, they used a dye onto my recipient area for them to see the incisions better. They save the other 10% to be used for fine tuning at the end. They were also taking estimates of how many grafts were to be expect every half hours or so.

Janna and the other techs then started to plant with Dr Shapiro checking all the time as my crown planting was not straight forward due to my previous poor work which left plugs in there growing in the wrong directions. My crown work went great and then they proceeded to plant in the middle of my hairline. Janna planted every single graft in the hairline. Then towards the end, Dr. Shapiro and Janna did the stick/plant method to fine tune the hairline. This is where Dr. Shapiro makes the incision and Janna plants straight away after each incision is made. They said once the incisions are filled with grafts, you can see spaces in between, so Dr. Shapiro always asks for single hairs to be saved for this part.

Photos were taken at every opportunity by Janna and Dr Shapiro.

Once finished I was shown the work and asked if I was happy which I was.

Went back to the hotel and logged on the net and chilled out for the night. I took two Vicodin for pain before I went to bed, woke up fine and didn’t need any more pain relief meds. I took two though just before my plane journey home to be safe.

Next day Tuesday, checked out of hotel and went to SMG for a hair wash and haircut. They took more photos and a video of the work.

Janna and Dr Shapiro chatted with me again to confirm I was happy. I then hung around and was invited to watch a live surgery of planting and cutting grafts which was very interesting. They were very professional and great at what they were doing.

I would without any doubt say that if you choose to have a HT with SMG that you will have a great experience and receive a world class result.

I flew home at 7.30 pm on Tuesday. I took some valium on the plane and slept most of the way back to Amsterdam. Then the short one hour flight back to Newcastle.

Now sitting at home happy as can be thanks to SMG.

Will sort photos soon.

Thanks for the update. Would love to see your pictures. Please upload pictures whenever they are ready. If you prefer, you can email me the pics at hairsite@aol.com

Will create a personal journal for you to document the progress once I have the pictures.

Why flew all the way to the US for strip? There are good strip doctors in Europe for sure. What about HDC, Bisanga, Mwamba etc?

» Why flew all the way to the US for strip? There are good strip doctors in
» Europe for sure. What about HDC, Bisanga, Mwamba etc?

I believe he was butchered in Europe and his research led him to the United States, a smart move on his part. Limited donor means less chances to get it right. Shapiro is one of the best in the business for strip.

Cant wait to see your pics. I have flown from Chicago to Amsterdam on KLM before, thats a long flight. Defintely Valium time for that flight.

Sounds like all went well, glad to hear that.

Hi all
I flew to the States as thats where all my years of reseaerch took me.
I chose a few docs to research extensively into and Smg could fit me in when i wanted to go.
I have had a world class HT and i`m very happy
Here are a few pics until i can sort more.

Bigmac,

My apologies for the delay. Believe me, I was just about to upload your pictures when I saw your post.

Anyway, glad that the pictures are showing up in your post finally. There is, however, one picture that didn’t make it, can you post the exact link for this picture so that I can take care of that for you?

It’s the picture with this filename: rownpo.jpg

Hi hairsite
Did you get the rest of the pictures i emailed you
Thanks.

How many grafts did you have?

Thanks Hairsite for posting those additional photos.
I will update at 1 week and then pictures of my scar when the sutures are removed.
Its all looking very good.

Hi Steve 78

Just seen your question

I had 250 or 350 grafts in the hairline ,i will check exactly and the rest went into my crown.
Here is my graft count.

1s-285

2s-907

3s-399

4s-23

1614grafts =3388 hairs

strip size was 1.3width by 16.5cm length

My graft count would have been higher but a certain greek fue clinic wasted these precious babies in my donor area.
You can see there fue scars on one of the pictures.

I`m happy now though:-)

» Hi Steve 78
»
» Just seen your question
»
» I had 250 or 350 grafts in the hairline ,i will check exactly and the rest
» went into my crown.
» Here is my graft count.
»
» 1s-285
»
» 2s-907
»
» 3s-399
»
» 4s-23
»
» 1614grafts =3388 hairs
»
» strip size was 1.3width by 16.5cm length
»
» My graft count would have been higher but a certain greek fue clinic
» wasted these precious babies in my donor area.
» You can see there fue scars on one of the pictures.
»
» I`m happy now though:-)

So you had fue before and now you decided to go to strip?

Yes i`ve had two small strip ,then fue and back to strip with trico closure.

» Yes i`ve had two small strip ,then fue and back to strip with trico
» closure.

Which one do you prefer? Do you find that strip gives better results? It seems that way according to forum pics.

HI Hair 911
Both strip and fue will give great results.
My fue was poor as i chose a poor clinic in Greece to do the work and my previous two strips were with Norton in England which were poor choices as well.
In my opinion depending on your loss and donor supply strip is the way to go first until its no longer viable and then to go fue.
This is my personal view due to years of research.

» » Yes i`ve had two small strip ,then fue and back to strip with trico
» » closure.
»
» Which one do you prefer? Do you find that strip gives better results? It
» seems that way according to forum pics.

STRIP and FUE are both donor harvesting technique. It should not affect the final result except for the donor site.

» Yes i`ve had two small strip ,then fue and back to strip with trico
» closure.

Bigmac,

That was Triclosure that Dr. Shapiro did for you?

»
» Bigmac,
»
» That was Triclosure that Dr. Shapiro did for you?

Hi Hairsite
It was triclosure with sutures and its looking great already.Will post some pics as soon as the sutures are out.

The strip looks brutal, how much pain are we talking about here?

at first i saw some of the recip photos, looks great, then i saw a huge stiched scar, i thought my god

with the propensity of scars to stretch and all the horror stories, why would anyone do strip nowadays