Benji

I remember you said that you applied cedarwood(right??) oil on your beard for a while and the hair stopped growing. Have hair regrown there now or still bald?

» I remember you said that you applied cedarwood(right??) oil on your beard
» for a while and the hair stopped growing. Have hair regrown there now or
» still bald?

Peppermint oil/water drammatically reduced the beard hair. However Im not certain that peppermint might not just be bad for hair period like licorice apparently is.

Cedarwood made the skin dry there. There was much less sebum. However, it wasnt’ until after I added lavender oil to the mix that I saw less beard hair with the cedarwood.

The classic four essential oils for hair are cedarwood, lavender, rosemary, and thyme. One can make arguments that there is a scientific reason each might be helpful with AGA. Cedarwood reduces sebum (two patents attest to that), lavender has been shown to block the androgen receptor and stimulate the estrogen receptor in experiments, thyme inhibits certain prostaglandins and is a natural antihistsamine, rosemary is an anti-inflammatory and COX-2 inhibitor. I always wanted to see the essential oils (all are soluble in ethanol) be tested in AGA and see how they stack up against minoxidil, etc. But that will never happen.

so area of the beard where hairgrowth stopped/reduced considerably…have those areas returned back to their original density/thickness, now that you haven’t used it for a while?

» so area of the beard where hairgrowth stopped/reduced considerably…have
» those areas returned back to their original density/thickness, now that you
» haven’t used it for a while?

the peppermint oil side still lags to be honest with you. I have a thick beard. I wonder about peppermint perhaps not being so good for hair like licorice is.

Licorice is a potent anti-androgen, and has been shown to inhibit alpha five reductase as well as the androgen receptor, but it was also shown to deter mice hair from growing or even entering a second phase in experiments. The authors thought it actually might make a good suppressor of hair. I hope not, but I wonder if peppermint might also be “bad” for hair despite being an anti-androgen.

One thing was for certain though. If you have unwanted hair in an area…peppermint will certainly decrease it at about three months.

If someone made me guess on what would be a good natural topical anti-androgen…I’d say lavender oil mixed in ethanol. We know from experiments that it blocks the Androgen receptor and we know it stimulates the estrogen receptor and its been used in hair care for eons. We know its bioactive because pre-pubertal boys using body washes with lavender get gynochomastia. Since its natural, It might have a better chance of not having androgen receptors mutate in response to it. It doesnt inhibit EGF and WNT like green tea’s ECGC does either…

I’m not sure what the natural basis of Lavender oil would do to the likelyhood of mutations in the AR. I don’t see a reason it would do much either way.

But regardless, anything topical that whacks the ARs as well as the hormones themselves is a great idea in my book.

I wonder if some plain old Lavender Oil would dissolve in Olive Oil as a decent carrier? Rubbing alcohol doesn’t always work the best for that stuff.

» I’m not sure what the natural basis of Lavender oil would do to the
» likelyhood of mutations in the AR. I don’t see a reason it would do much
» either way.
»
» But regardless, anything topical that whacks the ARs as well as the
» hormones themselves is a great idea in my book.
»
»
»
»
» I wonder if some plain old Lavender Oil would dissolve in Olive Oil as a
» decent carrier? Rubbing alcohol doesn’t always work the best for that
» stuff.

everclear or any pure grain alchohol from the liquor store…its wholly soluble in that. After getting a mix, one can add purified water to dilute it.
In tests, lavender blocked the androgen receptor as well as flutamide did, but it took a bit higher concentration. You can google “lavender and androgen receptor” or “lavender and gynochomostia” and probably find that article. There was a discussion at HLT on the New Research and Discoveries forum about it. Anyhoo…Lavender was one of the four classic essential oils used in baldness (cedarwood, rosemary,thyme were the others), and I thought it was interesting to find that it had sciecne backing it up. The only way to know for sure would be to make a mix of it, and apply it to your body hair for about three to four months in one spot and see if it weakened the growth.

We do know one thing though, from the scottish essential oil/alopecia areata study…lavender isn’t “bad” for hair, because it was a participant in some pretty impresive regrowth photos.

» everclear or any pure grain alchohol from the liquor store…its
» wholly soluble in that. After getting a mix, one can add purified water to
» dilute it.

What about it’s solubility in sweet almond oil? I usually take a small amount (about 3/4 teaspoon) of almond oil and add 5 drops of Tea Tree oil, 3 Drops of Lavendar & 3 of Cedarwood. Should I switch to purified water? increase concentration of oils?

» » everclear or any pure grain alchohol from the liquor
» store…its
» » wholly soluble in that. After getting a mix, one can add purified water
» to
» » dilute it.
»
» What about it’s solubility in sweet almond oil? I usually take a small
» amount (about 3/4 teaspoon) of almond oil and add 5 drops of Tea Tree oil,
» 3 Drops of Lavendar & 3 of Cedarwood. Should I switch to purified water?
» increase concentration of oils?

the carrier oils used in the Scottish Essential Oil study for Alopcia Areata (google it and look at the picture of regrowth on a completely bald man—impressive), used jojoba oil and grapeseed oil as carriers. I really dont know about it being “soluble” in either of these—but it uses them to get through the dermis. Ethanol is considered a pretty good carrier to get through the dermis and can be watered down with either purified or distilled water after a mixture is made.

Hello guys,

What do you think about contacting the author(s) of the scottish study, we talk about it all the time, dont you think that we should try to talk to him, should he be able to give us some insights and explain to us his vision of things and the future !

» Hello guys,
»
» What do you think about contacting the author(s) of the scottish study, we
» talk about it all the time, dont you think that we should try to talk to
» him, should he be able to give us some insights and explain to us his
» vision of things and the future !

I remember coming across the exact ratios on a website - don’t know which one. Try google for a while and you might find it.

So man ?