Beard hair transplant VS head hair transplant

Most of the time patients goes for big session of head hair transplant including less percentage of beard hair transplant.

Example may take 2500 (head hair transplant) + 300 (beard hair transplant)

After 2.5 months(approx), hair starts to grow and continue up to one year approx.

Due to small session of beard hair transplant with head hair transplant, it becomes difficult to know ,which hair is sprouting (beard or head ) at 2.5 month approx.

My question is that, is there any difference of hair growth cycle of Beard hair transplant vs head hair transplant?

Does beard hair also grow to start 2.5 months(approx), or it has long period of sprouting?
And if yes , what is that?

I am sure there is a difference just by observation, if I don’t shave for a week my beard will be at least an inch long however it will probably take a month for my head hair to grow that long, so beard does grow faster than head hair.

1 Like

Dr. Cole has used about 1,000 beard hair grafts on my head. It seems to take longer to grow than scalp hair. One patient told me his beard grafts took over a year to start to grow. I can tell the difference between the beard hair when I wash my hair. The beard hair has a coarser texture. About 3 weeks ago, Dr. Cole had a doctor visiting from Spain and wanted to demonstrate his method of beard hair scoring. He took 300 grafts at that time. The transplanted hairs continue to grow for a while before going into the resting phase and later re-emerging. Right now the hairs are about a half an inch long (1.2cm) and feel spikey.

In Past , I had also gone beard hair transplant with a huge quantity of head hair transplant, But never thought to do comparison growth , between these two cases.

This time i had gone approx 300 Beard grafts only, and completed more than 2.5 months approx. Now I am waiting for them curiously. Still seen one or two beard hair.

you afraid me by saying that “One patient told me his beard grafts took over a year to start to grow”.:slight_smile:

But one thing seems correct that it might takes slightly longer time for sprouting.

Hiii.

My beard transplanted has come with in 4 months approx.

What i have noticed that , during starting growing phase , they were not curled and i could not distinguish that they were sprouted transplanted small beard hairs or previous existing hair.

But when you will transplant Head donor hairs, they will sprout in curled way and will be thick and straight with time.

Its my observation.

There is no difference between the growth period of scalp and beard hair as they have almost the same texture. They grow normally almost at the same rate.

According to our observations beard hairs can be distinguished from scalp hairs due to different diameter and general texture. However, in our cases, we found that after two-three hair cycles the transplanted hairs from the beard tend to acquire similar characteristics with those coming from the rest of the scalp. The reason for that should be the differences between the blood vessels network in the beard area (richer) and the rest of the scalp (poorer), which force the beard hairs to become thinner and at the end to be similar to scalp hairs.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by DHI[/postedby]
The reason for that should be the differences between the blood vessels network in the beard area (richer) and the rest of the scalp (poorer), which force the beard hairs to become thinner and at the end to be similar to scalp hairs.[/quote]

Both George Cotsarelis and Valerie Horsley’s Yale studies are pointing either directly or indirectly to the importance of blood platelet growth factors in healthy caliber hair growth. Cotsarelis found that PGD2 saturates miniaturizing hair follicles and is a powerful inhibitor of blood platelet aggregation. PGD2 causes hair loss when injected into rodents. Horsley’s Yale study highlighted the depleted fatty layer in balding scalp and a role adipose plays in signalling the release of platelet growth factors (PDGF) to hair follicles. According to our cross-section trichometry, PRP treatments (platelet rich plasma) nearly always positively improve the hair shaft diameter of miniaturizing hair.

The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Does PRP work for women hair loss?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Lyn[/postedby]
Does PRP work for women hair loss?[/quote]

In some cases it helps a lot.
Chuck