Beard and body hair transplant repair job

» >> And since the early 1990s I gave better results with only a fraction of
» the grafts other doctors were quoting.
»
» Now that is something to consider.
»
» I have been wondering for a while why there is such a discrepancy in
» outcome between the better docs even when using scalp hair using the same
» numbers. H&W get wow results but that can’t be due to some kind of magic.
» Maybe the percentage growth is not nearly as close to 100% as is advertised
» by many surgeons. When it comes to FUE maybe this is even more pronounced.
»
» You take a lot longer than many fue surgeons to implant 500 hairs but if
» the outcome is a better percentage growth then of cause it is worth it. The
» truth relating to the real percentage growth and consistent percentage
» growth is hard to come by. It seems likely that the meticulous procedure
» that you use and your experience as founder of this area can be trusted but
» does that mean that all other FUE surgeons are no good. I can’t believe that.

Believe what ever suits you.

Look around. there will be doctors all over the world wanting you as their poster boy. And you will pay peanuts to fix your head…maybe.

A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION …A LITTLE MORE ACTION…so get on with it and be a "been there … done that " expert.

good luck

Dr Woods

» Very nice for only 3500 grafts.
» http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=1&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR

Considering how disfigured his hair was with scars tattoos and many bare regions, I think its coming along marvelously. BHT seems to be a blessing to those without enough donor hair on scalp.
Keep up the good workd doc.

» http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=1&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR

2 questions, 1) does anyonne know if the facial hair will continue to grow or will they be gone forever once used for donor? 2) do I need to grow my beard long before surgery, and if so how long?

Dr. Woods,

Are you going to open an office in Memphis?

» Dr. Woods,
»
» Are you going to open an office in Memphis?

Good idea. I will call Pricilla and try and get rooms at Gracelands.

Please observe diamonds healed beard donor area on this link

http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=3&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR

Regards,

Dr Ray Woods

Thankyou for that link Duck.

We just posted another link to Diamonds beard post op
http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=3&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR

Dr Ray Woods

» » Very nice for only 3500 grafts.
» »
»
» Thankyou for that link Duck.
»
» We just posted another link to Diamonds beard post op
»
» http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=3&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR
»
» Dr Ray Woods

Dr Woods how many grafts do you think you can get from a person with average beard density, assuming that I don’t mind wiping out my beard entirely?

» » » Very nice for only 3500 grafts.
» » »
» »
» »
» » Thankyou for that link Duck.
» »
» » We just posted another link to Diamonds beard post op
» »
» »
» http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/videogallery/pagination.php?page=3&album=BEARD%20HAIR%20USED%20FOR%20REPAIR
» »
» » Dr Ray Woods
»
» Dr Woods how many grafts do you think you can get from a person with
» average beard density, assuming that I don’t mind wiping out my beard
» entirely?

I second that, there are some crazy numbers being thrown around by Arvind and Umar, the surface area for beard is much smaller than scalp donor, there is no way they can get more beard hair than they could from the scalp. Arvind posted a 6800 grafts beard transplant, if you think about it, most scalp fue can’t even get up to 5000, how on earth did he get 6800 grafts from facial hair!

» I second that, there are some crazy numbers being thrown around by Arvind
» and Umar, the surface area for beard is much smaller than scalp donor,
» there is no way they can get more beard hair than they could from the
» scalp. Arvind posted a 6800 grafts beard transplant, if you think about it,
» most scalp fue can’t even get up to 5000, how on earth did he get 6800
» grafts from facial hair!

like trusting Wall Street “numbers”…they are used to leap frog competitors and suck in “business”, by appearing to be more efficient and offering better value for money.

They say “Doctors bury their mistakes”

But in the hair transplant industry, patients hide themselves out of shame and regret.
And those who become vocal are buried by Lawyers, Legal Disclaimers, or certain Sponsor friendly websites who make sure problems and complaints “go away”.

So yes, I third that, the quoted numbers are often absolutely ridiculous.

Dr Ray Woods

Dr. Woods, excellent work as always, I have a question about Propecia and BHT. I am sure you know that Propecia has the exact opposite effect on body hair as it does for scalp hair, so do you think that people who had BHT should be asked not use Propecia? Maybe people are not seeing good BHT growth partially because they are using Propecia which tends to decrease body hair growth? Your thoughts ?

» Dr. Woods, excellent work as always, I have a question about Propecia and
» BHT. I am sure you know that Propecia has the exact opposite effect on body
» hair as it does for scalp hair, so do you think that people who had BHT
» should be asked not use Propecia? Maybe people are not seeing good BHT
» growth partially because they are using Propecia which tends to decrease
» body hair growth? Your thoughts ?

I am not 100% certain and don’t have all the facts, so I can only offer an opinion . I think what you said is correct.

Another reason is that damaged and transected grafts are placed to artificially inflate the "numbers"
Or, the grafts were promised, but only a fraction of that number actually implanted. Doctors know that patients wont go home and count the “thousands” of scabs. And 12 months later, the poor growth is old news easily deflected and ignored by an ongoing PR blitz

Dr Ray Woods

» » Dr. Woods, excellent work as always, I have a question about Propecia
» and
» » BHT. I am sure you know that Propecia has the exact opposite effect on
» body
» » hair as it does for scalp hair, so do you think that people who had BHT
» » should be asked not use Propecia? Maybe people are not seeing good BHT
» » growth partially because they are using Propecia which tends to
» decrease
» » body hair growth? Your thoughts ?
»
» I am not 100% certain and don’t have all the facts, so I can only offer an
» opinion . I think what you said is correct.
»
» Another reason is that damaged and transected grafts are placed to
» artificially inflate the “numbers”
» Or, the grafts were promised, but only a fraction of that number actually
» implanted. Doctors know that patients wont go home and count the
» “thousands” of scabs. And 12 months later, the poor growth is old news
» easily deflected and ignored by an ongoing PR blitz
»
» Dr Ray Woods

I hope that is not true about Propecia+BHT, that’s insane, if we can’t use Propecia after BHT then sure enough our own hair will fall out and all we have left is body hair on top, talk about looking like a freak!

All this had been debated before, I think it was Dr Umar who said that the reason he can get more from the face is because we don’t have to worry about leaving gaps in the donor, doctors can extract virtually every single follicle from the chin,face and neck, however the same does not apply to scalp donor or you will risk having white dots and gaps all over the back of your head.

Dr. Woods don’t forget about my question :slight_smile: roughly how many grafts can you get from a person with average beard density?

» Dr. Woods don’t forget about my question :slight_smile: roughly how many grafts can
» you get from a person with average beard density?

The hard thing here is deciding what is “average” . It stretches from people who have hardly any facial hair, to the Taliban

Density must be considered, and the physical size of the beard area plus other subtle variants which will impact the numbers available etc.

I’ll take a punt and say a couple of thousand, give or take 500 to 1000.
But don’t hold me to it. Each area must be assessed idividually.

Dr Ray Woods

» » Dr. Woods don’t forget about my question :slight_smile: roughly how many grafts can
» » you get from a person with average beard density?
»
» The hard thing here is deciding what is “average” . It stretches from
» people who have hardly any facial hair, to the Taliban
»
» Density must be considered, and the physical size of the beard area plus
» other subtle variants which will impact the numbers available etc.
»
» I’ll take a punt and say a couple of thousand, give or take 500 to 1000.
» But don’t hold me to it. Each area must be assessed idividually.
»
» Dr Ray Woods

what about diamond? you took out 2000 already, how many more do you think he can spare from his beard?

Dr Woods, is it possible to use beard hair for the crown or vertex as I think you call it.

» » Dr. Woods, excellent work as always, I have a question about Propecia
» and
» » BHT. I am sure you know that Propecia has the exact opposite effect on
» body
» » hair as it does for scalp hair, so do you think that people who had BHT
» » should be asked not use Propecia? Maybe people are not seeing good BHT
» » growth partially because they are using Propecia which tends to
» decrease
» » body hair growth? Your thoughts ?
»
» I am not 100% certain and don’t have all the facts, so I can only offer an
» opinion . I think what you said is correct.

If you think I am right about BHT and Propecia, do you ask your bht patients to stop using Propecia after the surgery? It would be counter productive if you give us body hair and at the same time we continue to use Propecia which decreases body hair growth, dont you think?

» » » Dr. Woods, excellent work as always, I have a question about Propecia
» » and
» » » BHT. I am sure you know that Propecia has the exact opposite effect
» on
» » body
» » » hair as it does for scalp hair, so do you think that people who had
» BHT
» » » should be asked not use Propecia? Maybe people are not seeing good
» BHT
» » » growth partially because they are using Propecia which tends to
» » decrease
» » » body hair growth? Your thoughts ?
» »
» » I am not 100% certain and don’t have all the facts, so I can only offer
» an
» » opinion . I think what you said is correct.
»
»
» If you think I am right about BHT and Propecia, do you ask your bht
» patients to stop using Propecia after the surgery? It would be counter
» productive if you give us body hair and at the same time we continue to use
» Propecia which decreases body hair growth, dont you think?

Dr. Umar posted this before,

Medicine is hardly a field of absolutes. To most rules, there are bound to be exceptions.

The pathway that leads to the production of the 3 androgens (DHT, testosterone and Androstenedione, also has a route that leads to the production of Estrogen). When you block DHT production by 5AR inhibition, the path to testosterone and/or estrogen production tends to be upregulated. The degree to which either of these two hormones (testosterone and Estrogen) are affected by 5AR inhibition should depend on several factors including the patient’s idiosyncratic predispositions, drug dosage, drug type and actions (eg Dutasteride blocks both 5AR-1 and 5AR-2 hence leaves less room for DHT production via the 5AR1 pathway -the case with finateride)etc.

In healthy individuals, most body hair (relevant to BHT) responds especially to testosterone positively. Hence if DHT blockage results in more testosterone production than estrogen, you may actually end up with a positive effect on body hair than in premedication periods. If however, more estrogen is produced than is testosterone, you may well have a slowing of body hair growth and/or breast enlargement and/or loss of libido etc. If these hormones (Testosterone and and Estrogen) are raised to the same degree activity-wise, then you may have no change in body hair status as the effects of the 2 will balance out (most patients on alopecia reduction doses). This is the basis for my previous statement “Some activities of 5AR inhibitors (dutasteride and finasteride) are not a direct result of DHT or lack of it” found in the post you pasted above. As you can judge from the aforementioned, some activities of 5AR inhibitors is as a direct result of Testosterone and/or estrogen upregulation, rather than DHT.

A study on chest hair suggests that when slowing of hair growth occurs with finasteride use, it sustains for about 6 months following which it ceases to affect it either way as evidenced by observations in months 6 through 12. It is believed that even in these cases, the effect of testosterone increases to balance the intial estrogenic burst that may have occured in the earlier months. Also these uncommon negative effects tends to reverse with cessation of meds.

Please note: All the studies leading to the aforementioned statements have been based on prostate studies whereby higher doses of 5AR inhibitors are used compared to the standard doses for hair loss indications.

Conclusion:
As stated in an earlier post: I do not generally dissuade my patients from using finasteride or dutasteride post-BHT, but certain caveats have applied. I have thus far advised caution in the following events:

1. Breast symptoms have occurred and persist.
  2. Libido problems have occurred and persist.
  3. 5AR inhibitors have been used for less than 6 months.
  4. I pay special attention to the use of dutasteride (an effective 5AR-1 and 5AR-2 inhibitor), and patients using higher doses (of either meds) than is the standard recommendation for hair loss treatment.
  5. I have also re-emphasized pre-operative wet shaving and the intra-operative selection of only actively growing body hair for transfer. These would constitute anagen hair that has weathered any real or imagined negative effects of any agent the patient may have been using.

I find these guidelines prudent to follow pending further evidence that warrants refining them.

So to the question, CAN 5AR inhibitors cause reduced body hair…yes. Should this pose a cause for concern as to the future of BHT in MPB? Likely not. The problem may occur in a minority of predisposed men, when it does, it is not sustained pass 6 months.

Incidentally, I have seen challenges from either side of the BHT argument for the other side to point to a study that proves or disproves a point. It just so happens that in the BHT practitioners of today lays the best chance if any of such studies happening. Most branches of medicine will have little incentive to monitor the effect of finasteride / dutasteride on BHT in healthy men to the extent that would satisfy our scrutiny.

» If you think I am right about BHT and Propecia, do you ask your bht
» patients to stop using Propecia after the surgery? It would be counter
» productive if you give us body hair and at the same time we continue to use
» Propecia which decreases body hair growth, dont you think?

I have never recommended or prescribed dutersteride or its variants, including after Body Hair Transplantation.
Blocking the production of DihydroTestosterone in young men for what may be many , many years concerns me. The drug companies say its safe…but I have my “concerns” .

Again, I may be wrong and only offer my opinion .

Dr Ray Woods