Aussie - 4084 fuht (repair) - 8 month update & further HT

Dear forum readers,
Patient Nickname - “Aussie” (he is from australia and willing to discuss his case with other prospective patients).

Aussie is one in a series of cases that we shall discuss.
These cases have one common feature -
They have extensive hairloss and have followed different paths to restore their hair. They have not settled for the “bald crown, deep temple recessions” conservative framing of the face.

Aussie’s history -

Patient had a ?strip procedure in Australia in 2003. The operating clinic took one strip from each side of the scalp for 1500 grafts.

The following pictures depict Aussie’s hair status when he visited our clinic for the first time (in 2007).

His plan for the first session with us was to go for a strip FUHT procedure and place the grafts at a moderate to low density.

Aim being to focus on coverage (rather then density in the initial hair transplants).

A 4084 graft FUHT procedure was performed at our clinic in 2007.
18 beard hair grafts were also transplanted in the last few rows, interspersed with scalp grafts.

Aussie is happy with the HT carried out in 2007 and went for another procedure in 2008 to start filling the crown areas.

We expect further increase in density and growth as it is only 8 months.

The following picture shows the beard area from where grafts were also extracted.

Aussie went for his next HT with us in 2008, 8 months after the previous one.

The grafts were transplanted at a low density to cover the crown area.

Details and pictures to follow.

Regards,
Dr. A

222_file20.wmv

It looks like a “challenging case”!

I do not like the half finished look although it is what it says on the tin… half finished and I understand he will progress as the surgeries continue.

I think the next developments in HT may enable a more complete first round. HDC offers strip with FUE at the same session. What do you think about this to maximize the number of FUs for the first round?

» It looks like a “challenging case”!
»
» I do not like the half finished look although it is what it says on the
» tin… half finished and I understand he will progress as the surgeries
» continue.
»
» I think the next developments in HT may enable a more complete first
» round.

Dear Marco,
You have summed it up nicely.
I agree that more complete first (and second) round is best approach.
While one must keep in mind need for future touch ups (in case of further hairloss), its also true that techniques have evolved to a stage where a much larger number of hair follicular units can now be used to give the patients a fuller hair restoration.

We have and shall be documenting patient cases with extensive hairloss, who have chosen various routes to complete their hair restorations.

Some options chosen are -

1. FUHT + FUSE (all scalp grafts)
  2. FUSE only from scalp, beard and robust body donor hair
  3. FUHT + beard and robust body hair (by FUSE)…etc.

In each case, the patient has been able to go for >10,000 grafts. In most cases, he could have got 9,000 to 10,000 grafts in a single session.
(When the patient decides to go in multiple sessions, for a variety of reasons, one should respect their choice).

I hope these case illustrations will be educational for prospective patients.
Suffice for now that the prospective patients knows that more is available.
The confluence of the different techniques make fuller individual hair transplant sessions possible.

Regards,
Dr. A

»
» We have and shall be documenting patient cases with extensive hairloss,
» who have chosen various routes to complete their hair restorations.
»
» Some options chosen are -
» 1. FUHT + FUSE (all scalp grafts)
» 2. FUSE only from scalp, beard and robust body donor hair
» 3. FUHT + beard and robust body hair (by FUSE)…etc.
»
» In each case, the patient has been able to go for >10,000 grafts. In most
» cases, he could have got 9,000 to 10,000 grafts in a single session.

Dr. A.

This is good to hear and reflects the view of just a few other clinics. I think as you said “the confluence” of technologies will now impose a big step forward in the industry and the most notable for the last five years. I do not mean that nothing has happened for the last few years, rather it is the perfection or improvement of techniques that will allow them to be put together. Finally bald people of most classes can now have a good body of hair.

The best “strip only” clinics have been ahead of the game but this will now begin to fade. I think that within two years those that have embraced multiple technologies will reap the rewards.

During this time I think the challenge will be how to maintain consistent quality of technicians so that prices can be reduced or maintained. I think this will be an interesting challenge but one that can be broached in a formulaic way. I would suggest that this issue should become one of the central symposia themes.

Best Wishes,
Marco.

In 2008, Aussie underwent the next stage of his hair restoration.
It included a FUHT (2500 grafts) and 36 beard hair grafts, transplanted at a low/moderate density over the entire crown area.

»
» This is good to hear and reflects the view of just a few other clinics. I
» think as you said “the confluence” of technologies will now impose a big
» step forward in the industry and the most notable for the last five years.
» I do not mean that nothing has happened for the last few years, rather it
» is the perfection or improvement of techniques that will allow them to be
» put together. Finally bald people of most classes can now have a good body
» of hair.
»
» The best “strip only” clinics have been ahead of the game but this will
» now begin to fade. I think that within two years those that have embraced
» multiple technologies will reap the rewards.
»
» During this time I think the challenge will be how to maintain consistent
» quality of technicians so that prices can be reduced or maintained. I think
» this will be an interesting challenge but one that can be broached in a
» formulaic way. I would suggest that this issue should become one of the
» central symposia themes.
»
» Best Wishes,
» Marco.

Dear marco,
You have brought some very pertinent points. Thank you.

Regards,
Dr. A

Aussie is a true advanced NW 6.
Having gone for a moderate to low density transplant over crown, vertex as well as the frontal areas, he still has further options should he require them.

1. FUSE grafts from the scalp can be used to lower the hairline.
  2. Beard and robust body hair can be used to thicken the previously transplanted hair.

This is one example of the hair restoration options chosen by one patient.

We shall discuss others in separate threads.
Prospective patients may find these a useful resource in their own HT planning.

Regards,
Dr. A

Aussie has quite a natural looking looking result but for 4084 grafts I would have thought the density and coverage would have been greater.

You should have a look at the top of the forums on a patient of Dr. Woods called Anthony. He had 2500 grafts done and seems to have nearly double the result for about 60% of the grafts that Aussie had.

Thats the way to document results. Aussie has extensive hairloss. I am glad for him that he is on road to recovery. Do you think he can get 10,000 grafts or more if he wants?

» Aussie has quite a natural looking looking result but for 4084 grafts I
» would have thought the density and coverage would have been greater.
»
» You should have a look at the top of the forums on a patient of Dr. Woods
» called Anthony. He had 2500 grafts done and seems to have nearly double the
» result for about 60% of the grafts that Aussie had.

You must be new to the boards Punter. Welcome.
The two results you are talking about are totally different. Aussie is a stark baldie with not a hair on most of the scalp. The Dr. Woods patient you are talking about has lot less baldness and lot more in situ hair.
Also, Dr. A always shows all angles and you can see the top and the crown. Not the case in Dr. Woods presentation. There, the hair are just placed in the front areas and the crown and top views are not shown.

The two patients are totally different in their situation. But I am glad for both of them. Stay on and keep reading. As you get experience you will learn to differentiate the results.