Article - "Researchers Develop First Successful Hair Cloning Technique"

» He is MUCH MORE conservative about the potential of Acell in the
» interview. The press release is misleading.
Are you sure? :wink:
Look at this - regarding Cooley:

After five years trying to finance a startup based on the experiment, Cooley was hired by Bosley’s leading competitor, a Johnson&Johnson-backed British company called Intercytex. In October, the company began a government-sanctioned human trial in England with the goal of proving to regulators that implanting cultured hair cells is safe.

So what …

» » He is MUCH MORE conservative about the potential of Acell in the
» » interview. The press release is misleading.
» Are you sure? :wink:
» Look at this - regarding Cooley:
» ---------------
» After five years trying to finance a startup based on the experiment,
» Cooley was hired by Bosley’s leading competitor, a
» Johnson&Johnson-backed British company called Intercytex. In
» October, the company began a government-sanctioned human trial in England
» with the goal of proving to regulators that implanting cultured hair cells
» is safe.
» ---------------
» So what …

They put out a press release claiming HM, then only talk about scar repair, and even then guardedly.

» They put out a press release claiming HM, then only talk about scar
» repair, and even then guardedly.
“Press” is what they always have been - press. Nothing more, nothing less.
That means for me, every press will be the first with “breaking news”. Therefore they sometimes do not check details.

That was an insightful interview. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

He does very clearly in the interview state:

What we’re seeing in our research is follicle regeneration at the site of wounding … new follicles being created.

But it sounds very, very preliminary.

“Preliminary” my a*ss.

We’re talking about an existing healing product being used on a conventional HT type of scalp wound. Either it regenerates/repairs follicles when it hits the scalp skin, or it doesn’t.

IMHO either it’ll work – TODAY – and – WITHOUT A TRANSPLANT – or else somebody is lying/decieving somewhere in this pile of quotes about Acell over the last few years.

Maybe I’m just going off half-cocked here, but honestly I fail to see the room for all these gray areas. Acell powder has been around for a couple years now, and I’m still waiting for someone in the medical field to show what happens when it’s used on a dermbraded or HT-recipient-type of scalp wound. This is an obvious thing to try with this product. There is no reason not to try it except for commercial motivations within the HT industry. Lots of talk, lots of big words, no plain old test photos.

IMHO we need to either get our hands on this stuff or else find a doc that will do it for us. Getting one HT doc (with a dubious repuation already, and a career to lose if the test actually works) to do a half-assed recipient wound closure does not cover it. We’ve got more than enough evidence to suggest that this is worth pursuing. Continuing to leave this untested is horsesh*t. It’s not particularly expensive, and it’s probably not even a fraction as risky as the Folica-type experiments we’re already screwing around with.

»
» Maybe I’m just going off half-cocked here, but honestly I fail to see the
» room for all these gray areas. Acell powder has been around for a couple
» years now, and I’m still waiting for someone in the medical field to show
» what happens when it’s used on a dermbraded or HT-recipient-type of scalp
» wound. This is an obvious thing to try with this product. There is no
» reason not to try it except for commercial motivations within the HT
» industry. Lots of talk, lots of big words, no plain old test photos.

Exactly. This guy is being very, very ambigious, right after releasing a press release that claims a “hair cloning breakthrough”. More bullsht from HT docs. But hey, I bet he gets a ton of phone calls from prospective HT clients looking to get his “breakthrough” treatment, which is probably exactly what he wanted.

Big hype, big hype… like always…

Bla, bla, bla.

This product was discussed a while back. I had heard about this product (on Hairsite) and contacted Acell and several docs about using it. I believed it would regenerate removed donor tissue and provide a limitless donor supply. I contacted several docs and only a few tried it. Dr. Jones is the only doc that kept us updated about his results which turned out to be disappointing (although I beleive some mistakes were made in his protocol).

Since them, I’ve had issues in my personal life that has take my focus away from hairloss and just come here to read others’ posts.

I have copied/pasted the e-mail and list of docs that were contacted if anyone wants to “take up the reigns” and contact any of these docs again. Maybe, if they see that another doc is using the product they will have more interest.

Take Care,
Bill

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-35124-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer.html

» »
» » Maybe I’m just going off half-cocked here, but honestly I fail to see
» the
» » room for all these gray areas. Acell powder has been around for a
» couple
» » years now, and I’m still waiting for someone in the medical field to
» show
» » what happens when it’s used on a dermbraded or HT-recipient-type of
» scalp
» » wound. This is an obvious thing to try with this product. There is no
» » reason not to try it except for commercial motivations within the HT
» » industry. Lots of talk, lots of big words, no plain old test photos.
»
»
» Exactly. This guy is being very, very ambigious, right after releasing a
» press release that claims a “hair cloning breakthrough”. More bullsht from
» HT docs. But hey, I bet he gets a ton of phone calls from prospective HT
» clients looking to get his “breakthrough” treatment, which is probably
» exactly what he wanted.

well of course, if they make it sound too exciting, it will affect their hair transplant business, they are still making a living doing hair transplant these days, why kill the goose

If you want peace between two countries, then you don’t hire a bunch of military contractors to try to negotiate it.

If you want a HM method tested, then you don’t try to talk HT clinics into experimenting with it.

»
» well of course, if they make it sound too exciting, it will affect their
» hair transplant business, they are still making a living doing hair
» transplant these days, why kill the goose

What? Open your eyes. No wonder conning the bald is so easy.

In regards to the claimed regrowth, I see two major possibilities:

#1 - Acell doesn’t heal balded follicles/balded skin, but it improves the survival rates of the donor hairs drastically. (I have always doubted the figures given by the HT industry about 95% graft survival and such. Who is counting?) The increased results in the recipient areas would be explained as transplanted grafts surviving better than before. The increased regrowth in the harvested donor area could be attributable to the fact that Acell is healing more of the follicles in the donor that were partially transected while the FUE holes were made. (Follicles right around the donor-zone holes that got damaged.)

#2 - Acell really heals MPB’d skin/follicles. It’s sprouting new/fixed hairs in the areas that a wound is made (both donor and recipient) when there isn’t too much scar tissue in the way. If this is the case, then we should not need ANY transplant work just to regrow hair. Maybe we need simple dermabrasion or maybe we need bloody holes in the balded areas to be healed, but either way we should not need the actual transplantation process.

» In regards to the claimed regrowth, I see two major possibilities:
»
»
» #1 - Acell doesn’t heal balded follicles/balded skin, but it improves
» the survival rates of the donor hairs drastically.
(I have always
» doubted the figures given by the HT industry about 95% graft survival and
» such. Who is counting?) The increased results in the recipient areas
» would be explained as transplanted grafts surviving better than before.
» The increased regrowth in the harvested donor area could be attributable to
» the fact that Acell is healing more of the follicles in the donor that were
» partially transected while the FUE holes were made. (Follicles right
» around the donor-zone holes that got damaged.)
»
»
» #2 - Acell really heals MPB’d skin/follicles. It’s sprouting
» new/fixed hairs in the areas that a wound is made (both donor and
» recipient) when there isn’t too much scar tissue in the way. If this is
» the case, then we should not need ANY transplant work just to regrow hair.
» Maybe we need simple dermabrasion or maybe we need bloody holes in the
» balded areas to be healed, but either way we should not need the actual
» transplantation process.

I see another potential possibility:

You get a hair graft. Slice it in three, four or even more pieces. You transplant the “sliced” pieces and apply the Acell matrix. The “sliced” pieces heal and produce hair instead of dying. Cooley said at the interview “its like taking a branch of a bush and growing another bush without killing the original one” How does this sound? I think that is what they are trying to do…

Also for the mad-conspiracy theorists: If this is the case you would still need an experienced hair transplant doctor to perform the procedure. It is a win-win situation for every hair transplant doctor.

And another thing: This things is interesting no matter what people wants us to believe.

If a company came out and present us with tens of pictures with people who were nw7 and turned to nw1 this forum would no longer have a reason of existance. The press release thread would be the last to open in this forum.

Until then, we do what we are here to do. Learn about new possibilities and/or potential treatments (not only cures) and discuss about it. Trying to stop people from going wohooo over a simple press release doesnt help anyone.

»
»
» #2 - Acell really heals MPB’d skin/follicles. It’s sprouting
» new/fixed hairs in the areas that a wound is made (both donor and
» recipient) when there isn’t too much scar tissue in the way. If this is
» the case, then we should not need ANY transplant work just to regrow hair.
» Maybe we need simple dermabrasion or maybe we need bloody holes in the
» balded areas to be healed, but either way we should not need the actual
» transplantation process.

I just can’t believe that no one has tried heavy dermabrasion followed by applying Acell to see if we can revive/regenerate hair follicles. Acell was a segment on 60 minutes last week and the scientist were claiming that they were able to grow fully functioning esophagus, and leg muscles using Acell.

»
» I just can’t believe that no one has tried heavy dermabrasion followed by
» applying Acell to see if we can revive/regenerate hair follicles. Acell
» was a segment on 60 minutes last week and the scientist were claiming that
» they were able to grow fully functioning esophagus, and leg muscles using
» Acell.

I’ve been repeating this idea like a broken record ever since I first heard about Acell a year or two ago. But almost nobody else seems to take it very seriously. For some reason there has been a feeling in the air that dermabrasion could be enough for Folica or the others but not for Acell. I don’t get it.

I probably would have tried it already but I haven’t come across any place that will sell the powder itself to me. So far all the big-headline success stories about Acell have always been with the powder.

» »
» » I just can’t believe that no one has tried heavy dermabrasion followed
» by
» » applying Acell to see if we can revive/regenerate hair follicles.
» Acell
» » was a segment on 60 minutes last week and the scientist were claiming
» that
» » they were able to grow fully functioning esophagus, and leg muscles
» using
» » Acell.
»
»
» I’ve been repeating this idea like a broken record ever since I first
» heard about Acell a year or two ago. But almost nobody else seems to take
» it very seriously. For some reason there has been a feeling in the air
» that dermabrasion could be enough for Folica or the others but not for
» Acell. I don’t get it.
»
»
» I probably would have tried it already but I haven’t come across any place
» that will sell the powder itself to me. So far all the big-headline
» success stories about Acell have always been with the powder.

I’m sure any dermatologist can order the stuff (or at least I would think so). Most likely, any doctor could order it for you. Do you have any connections with a doctor who could order it?

I’m not sure if dermabrasion would be deep enough of a wound???

» I’ve been repeating this idea like a broken record ever since I first
» heard about Acell a year or two ago. But almost nobody else seems to take
» it very seriously. For some reason there has been a feeling in the air
» that dermabrasion could be enough for Folica or the others but not for
» Acell. I don’t get it.
»
»
» I probably would have tried it already but I haven’t come across any place
» that will sell the powder itself to me. So far all the big-headline
» success stories about Acell have always been with the powder.

But with Follica after the dermabrading they use whatever chemicals they’re using to push it in the direction of forming follicles instead of just the skin healing over. If you put acell on a dermabraded bald skin I thought it would just heal the bald skin as it was before which is hairless.

Someone should still be testing it to see what happens obviously, but that was my concern.

But when a follicle gets shut down from the balding process, its DNA doesn’t change. It’s not “reprogrammed” not to work. It just gets fouled up somehow. The DNA does not have a separate set of instructions to create balded follicles, only working follicles with greater and lesser sensitivities to the long term MPB process damage.

I am thinking that if you injured a follicle and then you could get it to repair itself, it would repair itself to a more functional state than before the injury. (With conventional medicine we’ve never had much of a chance to see if this would work, because any serious injury to the follicles/skin typically ends up scarring too much to improve anything.) This basic repair-better-than-it-stared idea is what underlies almost all of the skin rejuvenating methods we use today.

Dermabrasion might or might not be enough to do it. But even if dermabrasion is not enough, I suspect that just making the (blood-deep) recipient holes in the recipient area would probably be enough. I don’t see why you would NEED the donor-zone follicles in there just to do it.

If Dermrabrasion doesn’t do it, then I wonder about a serious blood-drawing dermarolling session. Or both.

Some people already do dermarolling sessions on acne scarring that are blood-deep and their skin heals up better than it started. Add some Acell into the mix and it might do a lot more for us.

Either way, I just think we should be able to make this work without transplantation. If Dr. Cooley & friends aren’t decieving us about seeing follicles repair/regenerate with Acell, then I suspect we could be regrowing hair without any more HT sessions somehow.

they give the dr.s contact info as if it is already up and running?