Any ideas on how we can get this topical finasteride formulation?

Topical Finasteride Formulation: The swedes have come up with P-3074 which is a Finasteride 0.25% topical solution mixed with hydroxypropyl-chitosan (HPCH) which is a film-forming agent. They compared using this solution (once daily) with 1mg oral finasteride once daily and what they saw was mind boggling!!! Topical reduced scalp DHT by 71% whereas oral reduced it by 51%. Furthermore, serum DHT was reduced by about the same in both groups!!!

Why not formulate some home made topical finasteride.

Crush finasteride pills and put them into your minoxidil.

Shake the bottle before use.

That’s what I used to do till i got fedup of greasy minoxidil rolling down my forehead and into my eyes.

What we need is sh&t that is easy to apply and does not smell like hell.

Im also interested in this. Maybe some knowledgeable members can chime in here. Here is the patent,

Can reside on the skin for days? Wow!

Cody, what you say is very interesting. I would really like to know more about it, is there any source to the info you provide?, is it on a forum or something like that?

And Freddie, I don’t think that would work at all. Believe me, a ton of people have already tried that in the past with no results. Trying to get finasteride to work topically has always been wanted (regardless of if that would help against the potential sides or not) but it has never been achieved.

Oh, thanks for the info shivers20

what we need is chitosan

if i was from the iron-dragon company; i would ditch all the useless anti-hairloss products i’m currently making AT ONCE; cromo-indo combo, ramatroban mixture and the pgf2alpha analogue. i would study the patent very well, mass produce it and lastly, i would sell it for 30-40 dollars (it’s relatively cheap to make and no need to break people with a high price tag) a bottle @ 60 ml.

they would have thousands upon thousands costumers, guaranteed! because this discovery, by those swedish scientists, is really, really immense. topical dht treatment, with NO side effects. amazing.

iron-dragon, if you are reading this post, please start making it, the money you will be making from all of this, would be incredible.

Why not send them a Email oppenheimer82. within the email attach the patent and express the interest with this product.

Yeah, try to get in touch with them. Unless they’re forming a company, they might not have an issue with discussing the patent with you.

Indomethacin is also cheap to make and they still sell it for a very high price…

i’ve been skimming through their patent and it’s very easy to make!

no need to wait for iron dragon and their over priced stuff;

EXAMPLE 1
[0021]

A film forming solution having the following composition wt./wt.% was prepared:

1. Finasteride 0.25%
  2. Ethyl Alcohol 96° 55.00%
  3. Propylene Glycol 5.00%
  4. Hydroxypropyl Chitosan 1.00%
  5. Purified water 38.75%

Preparation
[0022]

Ethyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol and water were mixed at room temperature. Finasteride was then added and mixed until a clear solution was obtained. Hydroxypropyl Chitosan was added as the final ingredient, and the mixture was stirred at room temperature for 24 hours or until dissolution.

[0023]

The obtained formulation was a clear and colourless solution, homogenous in appearance even after prolonged storage. Moreover, the liquid was able to form a matte, non-sticky and elastic film, which could strongly adhere to the scalp surface.

you are welcome.

they are using 0.25% which = 2.5 mg to using 1 mg orally both which go systemic that is of course not an useful comparison, that is extremely flawed and misleading.

the whole point of this invention, with the addition of hp-chitosan as a crucial factor, is that this solution does NOT cause systematic absorbtion. so to be honest, i don’t understand your reaction at all.

Every couple of weeks starting a short while back, i get a dutasteride gel cap and poke a hole in it with a safety pin.

I apply the oily substance that oozes out onto my head after a shower (somewhat damp head).

I keep it on for 45 mins. Then i wash it out.

I don’t know if that has any long term effect or if the effect lasts only for the 45 minutes its on. I cannot leave it in the whole day as the smell is funky.

that’s it, no vehicle or anything? not a good idea sir, this will not help your follicles from becoming inactive.

Heres a study with minoxidil sulfate and Chitosin,

Chitosan microparticles for sustaining the topical delivery of minoxidil sulphate.

Guilherme Martins Gelfuso, Taís Gratieri, Patrícia Sper Simão, Luís Alexandre Pedro de Freitas, Renata Fonseca Vianna Lopez
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, Av. do Café, s/n. 14040-903, Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil.
Journal of Microencapsulation (impact factor: 1.55). 08/2011; 28(7):650-8. DOI:10.3109/02652048.2011.604435 pp.650-8
Source: PubMed
ABSTRACT Given the hypothesis that microparticles can penetrate the skin barrier along the transfollicular route, this work aimed to obtain and characterise chitosan microparticles loaded with minoxidil sulphate (MXS) and to study their ability to sustain the release of the drug, attempting a further application utilising them in a targeted delivery system for the topical treatment of alopecia. Chitosan microparticles, containing different proportions of MXS/polymer, were prepared by spray drying and were characterised by yield, encapsulation efficiency, size and morphology. Microparticles selected for further studies showed high encapsulation efficiency (∼82%), a mean diameter of 3.0 µm and a spherical morphology without porosities. When suspended in an ethanol/water solution, chitosan microparticles underwent instantaneous swelling, increasing their mean diameter by 90%. Release studies revealed that the chitosan microparticles were able to sustain about three times the release rate of MXS. This feature, combined with suitable size, confers to these microparticles the potential to target and improve topical therapy of alopecia with minoxidil.

agreed without a vehicle the penetration is probably nearly zero. A waste of dutasterid in my opinion.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by oppenheimer82[/postedby]
that’s it, no vehicle or anything? not a good idea sir, this will not help your follicles from becoming inactive.[/quote]

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by oppenheimer82[/postedby]
the whole point of this invention, with the addition of hp-chitosan as a crucial factor, is that this solution does NOT cause systematic absorbtion. so to be honest, i don’t understand your reaction at all.[/quote]

What Proof is there in the material that it’s effect is not from the systemic absorption of the topical?
The molecular weight of Fin is such that it would absorb systemically.

That is why when they use 2.5 mg to show that it works better than 1 mg

well that appears on the surface to be downright misleading, and I don’t care if they time release it in some vehicle, point is to work, it has to be released at some point.

If serum DHT was reduced the same on both groups, that means getting Finasteride through this method will give you the very same side effects than taking Finasteride in pill form. If you are propense to side effects taking the pill you won’t avoid them through this route.

bullsh*t. topicals do not have nearly as much systemic absorption as pills… dont like this fool delude you.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by osma_27[/postedby]
If serum DHT was reduced the same on both groups, that means getting Finasteride through this method will give you the very same side effects than taking Finasteride in pill form. If you are propense to side effects taking the pill you won’t avoid them through this route.[/quote]