Antihistamines - significant reduction in shedding

Anybody else out there experimenting with antihistamines ? Since Debris’s post (in this forum back in March) about reduced shedding while on antihistamines I’ve been using Lorastyne (Loratadine) 10mg daily. When washing my hair I’ve noticed about an 80% reduction in hair shedding. This took about 3 weeks to kick in but has been sustained for about 4 months now. I have not changed any other medication or dietary regimes in this period (only other med is 2.5mg Proscar daily for several years now).

I’m curios as to whether anybody else is getting a result from antihistamines after reading Debris’s post. It has been a psychological boost to see significantly less hair going down the drain every time I wash my hair. Whether this translates into a fuller looking head of hair in the future remains to be seen.

As well, I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable guys in this forum might be able to advise on a couple of things :

1. Even though reduced shedding has been in effect for about 4 months now do you think I’m just postponing the inevitable and may be heading towards a major shedding event somewhere soon down the track ?

2. If antihistamines can have the effect of maintaining a reduced level of shedding should I be regularly rotating different types of antihistamines to avoid resistance ?

Thanks for any feedback or advice. I know this probably isn’t the right forum but it is the one where I read Debris’s original post about antihistamines

Rk19 was abuot Antihistamines so there was plenty of experimentation and I haven’t see a single successful photo.

» Rk19 was abuot Antihistamines so there was plenty of experimentation and I
» haven’t see a single successful photo.

Thanks bugler for the tip …. hadn’t heard about this product before. Will do some more research.

Not sure now that experimenting with Lorastyne is a real smart thing to do. Hair shedding has decreased very significantly …. but after 5 months treatment my hair doesn’t seem to be any thicker …… and maybe even thinner in some places. I’m wondering if while inhibiting hair loss, Lorastyne is inhibiting hair regrowth as well …… for no net gain …… or worse !

like antihistamines pill or do you do that topically?

i do take some anti-histmaies for recurring angioedema - cause unknown.

i did some research and anti histmaines are a bit similar to anti-androgens like flutamide etc…as the bind to hitamines receptors and prevent histmaines to act. they don’t reduce the amount of histmaines.

Now, one of the side effect of anit-histamines is ERTICLE DISFUNCTION, this is due to the blokcing effect of testosterone by the anti-histamines binding to some androgen recpetors as well.

So we can assume that anti-hitamiens block testosterone from acting on hair and are similer to weaker androgen antagonist…hence the reduction of shedding.

Might be interesting to find an anti histamine that has a very short serum half life, low molecular weight and try to apply it topically. High doses of anit-histamines would have strong ereticle side effects if taken orally.

» i do take some anti-histmaies for recurring angioedema - cause unknown.
»
» i did some research and anti histmaines are a bit similar to
» anti-androgens like flutamide etc…as the bind to hitamines receptors and
» prevent histmaines to act. they don’t reduce the amount of histmaines.
»
» Now, one of the side effect of anit-histamines is ERTICLE DISFUNCTION,
» this is due to the blokcing effect of testosterone by the anti-histamines
» binding to some androgen recpetors as well.
»
» So we can assume that anti-hitamiens block testosterone from acting on
» hair and are similer to weaker androgen antagonist…hence the reduction of
» shedding.
»
» Might be interesting to find an anti histamine that has a very short serum
» half life, low molecular weight and try to apply it topically. High doses
» of anit-histamines would have strong ereticle side effects if taken orally.

Thanks El_Duterino …… recently I’ve been trying to figure out myself by what possible mechanism an antihistamine could effect hair shedding. Antihistamines acting as a weaker androgen antagonist sounds pretty plausible to me if erectile disfunction is a side effect of high dose antihistamine usage. I still wake up every morning with a boner, so the antihistamine dosage I’m taking must be below the erectile disfunction threshold.

Anyways, I had been using Lorastyne (Loratadine) 10mg daily. Just recently I have rotated to a different antihistamine to try and avoid resistance issues, and am now taking Telfast (Fexofenadine Hydrochloride) 120mg daily. Fexofenadine Hydrochloride is also a H1 inverse agonist, like Loratadine, but I’m hoping its mode of action is significantly different enough to avoid resistance. My hair shedding is still vastly less in comparison to pre-treatment.