All theories should be heard... But this one is really weird

Bingo.

Hair growth is not upregulated like, for instance, the renin/angiotensin hormonal regulation system in the kidneys which regulates blood pressure, or hematopoeisis in the bone marrow, upregulating the production of blood cells.

There is no reason to believe this, and indeed, this has never been demonstrated. I would think if such an “upregulation” or positive feedback loop system exists, it would be known and described by now.

Are you claiming that hair loss is not under genetic influence? It seems like you are falsely extrapolating. Simply because genes encoding for two proteins that are part of the overall process we call AGA are ‘not associated’ does not mean that downstream of this it can’t be underpinned by mechanisms that are also under genetic control. The phrase ‘genetic condition’ is indeed a blanket term, but this does not escape the fact that all conditions or biological processes consist of a complex interplay between both genetics and environment. You cannot take genetics out of the picture - with your - or for that matter, any other biological theory.

I maintain that you are being unduly dismissive of the Garza et al., 2012 PGD2 publication. How it possibly be argued that they brought ‘nothing to the table’ when not only did the group establish a causal (I emphasize again: not a correlative) effect of PGD2 on hair growth - but also the receptor (GPR44) responsible on the hair follicle.

I am neither taking genetics nor environmental factors out of the picture. Gravity affects the tissues qualities and quantities of which are determined by genes. And, gravity is an integral part of our environment.

Your confusion probably arises from not making distinction between normal and pathologic genes (or non-coding sequences of DNA) when using the phrases and terms “genetic influence”, “genetic condition” or “genetics”. The term “genetic condition” denotes mutated genes (or abnormalities in the genome in general). I am claiming that hair loss in AGA is not caused by an abnormality in an individual’s DNA. It is not a genetic condition. But, I am not claiming that genetics, that is, genetic makeup of an individual do not play a role in hair loss in AGA.

I meant our “discussion table” with the word “table” in the sentence “they do not bring something new to the table”. I did not comment on the contribution of the studies you had listed in your argument to science in general, and I had already posted my comments on high PDG2 levels in balding scalp.

Dear Doctor,

What I’m showing you, in case you missed the point, is that the simplest explanation is the most likely one.

You claim DHT is upregulated to grow hair but paradoxically reduces the surrounding fatty tissue thereby causing hair loss. Hair growth is not some necessary condition like breathing or heart beat. Its loss does not cause the body to upregulate growth factors related to it through some hormonal mechanism. People who undergo laser hair removal do not see an upregulation in DHT. So what hard science is your theory even based on.

You’ll excuse me as I need the Cliff notes summarized version of your theory.

I am sorry but I still do not see such a point in your previous note, but, it is o.k. if you wanted to emphasize the point that the simplest explanation is the most likely one. I could not agree more.

Laser destroys the hair follicle. It causes thermal injury. Factors released from the thermal damage zone signal to initiate wound healing. Hair follicle cells are under different kind of stress and send different signals in AGA. You can not compare laser hair removal with hair follicle miniaturization process in AGA. There is not any correlation.

I see that you know what is essential and what is not for the body. But, DHT levels increase in balding scalp regardless of your expectations from the body. If you think that it is genetic, I hope you have investigated and questioned the hard science that this thought is based on and there still remains a paradox that has to be explained.

Perhaps it could have helped if you had known that there are local regulatory mechanisms in tissues.

Reading more than summaries is required to see the science that my theory is based on.

Bingo.

Hair growth is not upregulated like, for instance, the renin/angiotensin hormonal regulation system in the kidneys which regulates blood pressure, or hematopoeisis in the bone marrow, upregulating the production of blood cells.

There is no reason to believe this, and indeed, this has never been demonstrated. I would think if such an “upregulation” or positive feedback loop system exists, it would be known and described by now.

If I were you I would not jump in right away. First, you need to learn about paracrine, other local and endocrine signaling mechanisms. In AGA, an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT is upregulated in balding scalp. Testosterone is not produced in the scalp and its production is not affected since the need is a local need.

Saying if something has not been demonstrated by now it is possibly not existent is at least not wise.

The facts do not change just because some people do not like them, see them or understand them. Contrary to what people believed the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Dear doctor,

I’m not sure what makes you cling to your theory so rigidly.

Your claim relies exclusively on the idea that there exists some DHT feedback mechanism that only kicks in for MPB and no other form of hair loss. Any attempt to show you a parallel scenario where hair is lost yet no DHT feedback mechanism is observed is met with rejection on account that the 2 situations are not the same.

Its sort of like claiming broken bones cause car accidents. Any attempt to show you that a bone can be broken without ever a car being involved is immediately met with rejection that the comparison is not valid.

I think the burden of proof is on you to prove a DHT feedback mechanism exists to begin with. You said you will be conducting an experiment to prove/disprove this.

Briefly, what will this experiment involve. How will it prove or disprove your claim.

Dear doctor,

I’m not sure what makes you cling to your theory so rigidly.

Your claim relies exclusively on the idea that there exists some DHT feedback mechanism that only kicks in for MPB and no other form of hair loss. Any attempt to show you a parallel scenario where hair is lost yet no DHT feedback mechanism is observed is met with rejection on account that the 2 situations are not the same.

Its sort of like claiming broken bones cause car accidents. Any attempt to show you that a bone can be broken without ever a car being involved is immediately met with rejection that the comparison is not valid.

I think the burden of proof is on you to prove a DHT feedback mechanism exists to begin with. You said you will be conducting an experiment to prove/disprove this.

Briefly, what will this experiment involve. How will it prove or disprove your claim.

It is not a matter of scenarios. You should make a solid case and bring forward the supporting findings. I usually do not discuss using unrelated comparisons or analogies. However, thinking that you may not have any medical background so that it may be a better way of explaining the case to you, I will try to use the way you use.

DHT increases in balding scalp. The condition is therefore called androgenic alopecia and DHT is held responsible from hair loss although its role in hair growth in other parts of the body is known to be the opposite. This is like seeing broken knee bones in drivers in car accidents and concluding that drivers with broken knees cause car accidents. I say that it would be more reasonable to conclude that dashboards (or other structures) hit the knees and break them in car accidents.

There is nothing for me to bring forward. You are the one making the claim of a DHT bio-feedback mechanism, not me. There is not a shred of evidence in the medical literature of such a thing. The burden of proof is therefore on you not me. I don’t know how much you understand of the scientific method but its not based on making unsubstantiated claims and then asking others to disprove it.

Now how is your experiment going to prove or disprove the above?

@Emin_Tuncay_Ustuner

Dear Doctor Ustuner, do you still feel strongly about your theory that gravity causes male pattern baldness? Your theory is a bit hard to accept or even understand but I like the fact that you made an attempt to explain why scalp hair and body hair respond to DHT differently.