AIDS about to be cured using stem cell based technology

» http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2648728,00.html
»
» I bet this is going to be on the market sooner than hm …

Debris, I still can’t believe you put that in the title. “Aids ABOUT to be cured”?

The guy said “it was his “cautious” hope that a cure for Aids could be found within ten years.”

There is NO CURE so why are you giving gay and straight people false hope Debris. About to be cured? Yeah, that’s like saying I am cautiously hopeful that Hangin’s bald crown will fill in within ten years and you tell everyone Hangin’s crown is ABOUT to be filled in with new hair in the subject line. A little misleading toward’s gay and straight people with AIDS don’t you think? Just think how many gay and straight people went out after reading your subject line and had unprotected sex? You need to be careful Debris with how you word things.

»

Stem cells are undifferentiated. They can become any type of cell, and they just haven’t decided what kind to be yet. Its kind of like a college student that hasn’t declared a major yet.

If you surround stem cells with a specific type of cell, they will differentiate and become like the surrounding cells. For example, if you inject stem cells into damaged heart tissue, they will become heart tissue cells and take the place of the damaged area.

The article here talks about combating viruses. Basically, viruses are little shuttles with a tiny strand of DNA or RNA inside it. The shuttle lands on a healthy cell and injects its genetic material into the cell. This genetic material is carried to the cell’s own DNA and added to it. Thus, the virus has taken over this cell and this cell will do whatever the virus tells it to do. The cell grows and multiplies, creating more contaminated cells.

The technique they are proposing to use to fight the virus is recombinant DNA. They create a little snippet of DNA or RNA, and teach the body how to seek and destroy this strand. The scientists here have found (or plan to isolate) a genetic trait in the material of AIDS infected cells that is unique from the rest of the body’s cells. They will make recombinant RNA that matches this strand and have the body go after it.

In this situation, the stem cells will most likely be used to ensure that the AIDS-unique genetic strands are not in conflict with any of the other naturally occurring DNA with in the body. It is possible that they will also use the stem cells as a delivery vehicle for the recombinant DNA. Or, like benji suggests, they can have the recombinant DNA transported through friendly viruses, which is the typical delivery method.

This use of stem cells is completely different from hair multiplication efforts. And yes, this AIDS treatment or a variation of it will appear on the scene before HM because it is a technique that has been used before in other applications. But like benji says, the virus can mutate so this will be a treatment, not a cure. Yes – this is the technique proposed for removing other bad genes, once they are identified.

Note: gay AND straight people have the free will to engage in or decline unprotected casual sex. The majority of the gay people I know are in monogamous relationships.

I agree. Small pox is prevented, not curable.

There you go again. You know what I mean.

Very nice post Jessica! :ok:

» Very nice post Jessica! :ok:

Thanks imor :smiley:
Do you work for intercytex?
I learned about DNA techniques at a research fascility in Ft. St. Lucie, Florida. If Dr. Cole had not found and hired me after I graduated college, I definitely would have worked there.

I envy hairtechs life & yours seems equally interesting.
So what sparked your interest in hair restoration ?

» » Very nice post Jessica! :ok:
»
» Thanks imor :smiley:
» Do you work for intercytex?
» I learned about DNA techniques at a research fascility in Ft. St. Lucie,
» Florida. If Dr. Cole had not found and hired me after I graduated
» college, I definitely would have worked there.

No jessica, I am afraid i don’t work for Intercytex. I would love though! :lol:

I am as the rest guys over here, as a “patience”. I try with everybody in this great forum to find a way or to get a hope for curing our ugly male pattern baldness.

Congratulations to everybody for the information, the efforts and the hopes we have been providing to each other!!! :ok: :clap:

»

3 Things:
One, this is a reach for any kind of help with hair loss other than science is advancing for people suffering with aids that information might someday be applied to hairloss.

Two Aids in the US still predominantly affects the homosexual population. Not to disparage homosexuals, it’s just the way it is.

Three the government spends the lion’s share of money on aids even though the private sector makes the medical advances using profits from the evil corporations you guys hate. The government in an effort to be compassionate throws more of our tax money away to other nations where the “Dicktators” (yes a little Freudian slip) line their own wallets while keeping their people poor and oppressed.

» I envy hairtechs life & yours seems equally interesting.
» So what sparked your interest in hair restoration ?

I started working for Dr. Cole and have been in love with hair ever since. :slight_smile:

» I am as the rest guys over here, as a “patience”.

:lol2: a “patience”? I love it. :wink:

» I try with everybody in this great forum to find a way or to get a hope for curing our ugly male
» pattern baldness.
»
» Congratulations to everybody for the information, the efforts and the
» hopes we have been providing to each other!!! :ok: :clap:

Agreed :yes: