Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

After watching this video WTF?

its from 2008

I’ve seen scientist grow organs in vitro using cells and a scaffold. Organs ranging from Livers, ears, fingers, arteries and blood vessels.

Although a hair follicle is complex, relative to other organs its actually quite simple. So why cant scientist grow hair follicles using dermal fibroblasts and bulge stem cells using a 3d biodegradable scaffold of a hair follicle?

I saw somewhere that they’re growing skin grafts for burn victims like they’re doing for organs in the video above. As I recall their process grows the entire skin, epidermis, follicles and hair.

So if this is viable, then our solution already exists-so long as people are willing to be ‘scalped.’ If they could grow a new scalp from a patch of skin where permanent hairs grow then we have our cure.

Other news related to this subject.

Meanwhile from Aderans site (not sure if this was posted already), they had a 50% successful hair growth in their first protocol (of 7) after 1 year. I personally think that’s very good news-I’d take those odds but they are working to improve the results. Still it may take a number of years till they have a commercially available treatment.

Half of ARI Study Participants See Hair Growth After 1 Year in First Protocol

Aderans Research Institute (ARI) recently completed the first of seven protocols of a hair
regeneration Phase 2 clinical study, and the results are in: more than half of study participants
showed significant hair growth one year after the cell product treatment was administered.
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) December 15, 2010 – Aderans Research Institute (ARI) recently completed the first of
seven protocols of a hair regeneration Phase 2 clinical study, and the results are in: more than half of study
participants showed significant hair growth one year after the cell product treatment was administered.
“The results indicate that our scientific approach, our research and understanding of follicular cell and hair
regeneration is headed in the right direction,” said Vern Liebmann, Vice President Operations. “The fact that an
increase in hair growth is apparent as far out as one year after treatment indicates our process has staying
power. Nobody we know of has produced results like these.”
Launched in November 2008, the current phase of the trial is open to select individuals who suffer from
androgenetic alopecia. It is focused on finding the most promising cell product treatment from ARI’s Ji Gami™
family of unique cell products. The ongoing protocols are evaluating the additional variants in the family. ARI
expects to have the one-year results from these protocols throughout 2011.
Two new protocols are scheduled to begin this month, and based on the results to date, they are expected to
produce even greater benefits with continued durability of response of observed hair growth.
“We now have the building blocks for true cellular hair regeneration. We are excited by this knowledge and
have great confidence in what is yet to come,” said Ken Washenik, M.D., Ph.D., Executive Vice President.
“The successive protocols will evaluate products that, based on our research, hold even greater promise for
cosmetically valued hair growth.”

For more information about the clinical trial, visit http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html.
About Aderans Research
Aderans Research is a pioneer in the research and development of safe, effective cell engineered products for
hair regeneration. With offices in Atlanta and Philadelphia, Aderans Research is a subsidiary of Unihair Co.,
Ltd, the world’s largest wig manufacturer, and affiliate of Bosley, a global leader in surgical hair restoration.
Ongoing information on ARI’s clinical study can be seen at
http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html
Additional information on ARI can be found at www.aderansresearch.com.
Learn more about ARI’s parent company Unihair Co., Ltd. at http://www.universalhair.
com/hd/english/index.html

» I saw somewhere that they’re growing skin grafts for burn victims like
» they’re doing for organs in the video above. As I recall their process
» grows the entire skin, epidermis, follicles and hair.
»
» So if this is viable, then our solution already exists-so long as people
» are willing to be ‘scalped.’ If they could grow a new scalp from a patch of
» skin where permanent hairs grow then we have our cure.
»
» Other
» news
» related to this subject.
»
» Meanwhile from Aderans site (not sure if this was posted already), they had
» a 50% successful hair growth in their first protocol (of 7) after 1 year. I
» personally think that’s very good news-I’d take those odds but they are
» working to improve the results. Still it may take a number of years till
» they have a commercially available treatment.
»
»
» Half of ARI Study Participants See Hair Growth After 1 Year in First
» Protocol

»
» Aderans Research Institute (ARI) recently completed the first of seven
» protocols of a hair
» regeneration Phase 2 clinical study, and the results are in: more than half
» of study participants
» showed significant hair growth one year after the cell product treatment
» was administered.
» Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) December 15, 2010 – Aderans Research Institute (ARI)
» recently completed the first of
» seven protocols of a hair regeneration Phase 2 clinical study, and the
» results are in: more than half of study
» participants showed significant hair growth one year after the cell product
» treatment was administered.
» “The results indicate that our scientific approach, our research and
» understanding of follicular cell and hair
» regeneration is headed in the right direction,” said Vern Liebmann, Vice
» President Operations. “The fact that an
» increase in hair growth is apparent as far out as one year after treatment
» indicates our process has staying
» power. Nobody we know of has produced results like these.”
» Launched in November 2008, the current phase of the trial is open to select
» individuals who suffer from
» androgenetic alopecia. It is focused on finding the most promising cell
» product treatment from ARI’s Ji Gami™
» family of unique cell products. The ongoing protocols are evaluating the
» additional variants in the family. ARI
» expects to have the one-year results from these protocols throughout 2011.
» Two new protocols are scheduled to begin this month, and based on the
» results to date, they are expected to
» produce even greater benefits with continued durability of response of
» observed hair growth.
» “We now have the building blocks for true cellular hair regeneration. We
» are excited by this knowledge and
» have great confidence in what is yet to come,” said Ken Washenik, M.D.,
» Ph.D., Executive Vice President.
» “The successive protocols will evaluate products that, based on our
» research, hold even greater promise for
» cosmetically valued hair growth.”
»
»
» For more information about the clinical trial, visit
» http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html.
» About Aderans Research
» Aderans Research is a pioneer in the research and development of safe,
» effective cell engineered products for
» hair regeneration. With offices in Atlanta and Philadelphia, Aderans
» Research is a subsidiary of Unihair Co.,
» Ltd, the world’s largest wig manufacturer, and affiliate of Bosley, a
» global leader in surgical hair restoration.
» Ongoing information on ARI’s clinical study can be seen at
» http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html
» Additional information on ARI can be found at www.aderansresearch.com.
» Learn more about ARI’s parent company Unihair Co., Ltd. at
» http://www.universalhair.
» com/hd/english/index.html

i thought the video was awesome. i had heard that organs were being grown but i had never seen them until this video. interesting to see when they start growing human organs.

when aderans say 50% success rate I think they mean 50% of the clinical patients responded equally or better to the respondents from the minoxidil and finasteride trials. this doesnt tell us much because it doesnt answer how much new hair was grown unless you go back and have a look at how much new hair was grown from the other trials. this was described in an Aderans presentation somewhere in the middle of last year. as for Aderans having anything viable in the future, if you see their share price starting to head in the opposite direction that it has been going over the last 5 years then they have something viable.

» its from 2008
»
» http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7eM3zOffI4
»
» I’ve seen scientist grow organs in vitro using cells and a scaffold. Organs
» ranging from Livers, ears, fingers, arteries and blood vessels.
»
»
» Although a hair follicle is complex, relative to other organs its actually
» quite simple. So why cant scientist grow hair follicles using dermal
» fibroblasts and bulge stem cells using a 3d biodegradable scaffold of a
» hair follicle?

I don’t think that the hair follicle is simple. Most of what was shoown is really growth of tissue. Bladder and hearts are just a couple of tissues. There are also big enough to be printed or built to a scafold.

Hair is quite different and only when they are making a kidney would I see the link.

A bladder is pretty much a baloon made of a couple of layers and a heart is just oriented muscle and some conective tissue that comprises cells that can work completely independently of the organ.

A hair is quite complex anatomically. matrix papilla a sebaceus gland an outer dermis and possibly a pilli muscle in a small space that probably all depend on each other for differentiation of the correct stem cells.I use the word probably because I do not know but it stands a good chance!!

Nope marco you are not correct. The only problem here is much more simple.

Yes they can grow hair follicles easily but there is o demand in terms of " Life threatening"

Hair is not important for survival of your body but a new heart is and there is demand for those organs. Thats why only peu a peu people are looking over their stuff and see " Hmm Maybe we could use organ engineering for cosmetic purposes" and then they go for follicles.

But even if it may sound EVIL and BAD we should be happy for burning victims, because if there would be no burning victims no one would really care about follicles.

I know this may sound mean and i hate myself for saying so, but its all action and reaction, so without burning victims there would be no demand for follicles :expressionless:

But believe me 2011 will be really great and i also think a cure for hairloss ( i dont know by transplant or injection) will be available in the next two years

» But even if it may sound EVIL and BAD we should be happy for burning
» victims, because if there would be no burning victims no one would really
» care about follicles.

Really? Guess who seems to be the only one who is successfully doing something useful in this field also concerning burn victims …

… and who reported about it:
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-77108-page-1-category-1-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html

» I know this may sound mean and i hate myself for saying so, but its all
» action and reaction, so without burning victims there would be no demand
» for follicles :expressionless:

And here is the scientific proof that you are a jerk and psycho at his highest level, Leeroy.Jenkins:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/search-show_postings-3737.html

Another Gho Brown Nosing? So why are you here and not at Gho´s place to get your hair done?

And also Gho was not subject here, the subject was regrow organs and follicles and as you have to know is categorized by

1. Needed
  2. Cosmetical and not directly needed

I don’t think merely growing cells on a scaffold is the same as recreating a real organ. Heart muscles pulsate and you can string them together to make some object that pulsates. But that ain’t a heart.

the day they figure out how to differentiate stem cells to form a working hair follicle is the day we are cured.

» the day they figure out how to differentiate stem cells to form a working
» hair follicle is the day we are cured.

Cool, every hair loss sufferer should be cured. But there is a tiny problem: A hair follicle itself has basically the unusual ability to regenerate itself. So you have to regenerate something what itself has the ability to do so (as soon as mother nature is signaling so to do so). Cool. You already had a beard as a child/teenager, but actually you didn’t had “a beard”. Suddenly you had had a real beard in you face on one hand, suddenly a bald scalp on the other hand. That is not unusual, that is just how mother nature works. And in some cases mother nature do not work for your cosmetical apperiance - that is mother nature’s “unusual intention” too.

» » But even if it may sound EVIL and BAD we should be happy for burning
» » victims, because if there would be no burning victims no one would
» really
» » care about follicles.
»
» Really? Guess who seems to be the only one who is successfully doing
» something useful in this field also concerning burn victims …
»
» http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21163581
»
» … and who reported about it:
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-77108-page-1-category-1-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html
»
»
»
» » I know this may sound mean and i hate myself for saying
» so, but its all
» » action and reaction, so without burning victims there would be no demand
» » for follicles :expressionless:
»
» And here is the scientific proof that you are a jerk and psycho at his
» highest level, Leeroy.Jenkins:
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/search-show_postings-3737.html

If I had to choose between living bald to 120 with a new heart, or dying with a full head of hair tomorrow . . .

And there were no other choices, I’d pick a full head of hair and dead

But it would have been an honorable death vs. a lifetime of dishonor bald, crawling the earth like a worm.

But that’s just me.

I will ask you this question in three years when u get your hairs back :slight_smile: i hope you wont slam the door to my face when iam in my Grim Reaper Outfit

» » » But even if it may sound EVIL and BAD we should be happy for burning
» » » victims, because if there would be no burning victims no one would
» » really
» » » care about follicles.
» »
» » Really? Guess who seems to be the only one who is successfully doing
» » something useful in this field also concerning burn victims …
» »
» » http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21163581
» »
» » … and who reported about it:
» »
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-77108-page-1-category-1-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html
» »
» »
» »
» » » I know this may sound mean and i hate myself for saying
» » so, but its all
» » » action and reaction, so without burning victims there would be no
» demand
» » » for follicles :expressionless:
» »
» » And here is the scientific proof that you are a jerk and psycho at his
» » highest level, Leeroy.Jenkins:
» »
» » http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/search-show_postings-3737.html
»
» If I had to choose between living bald to 120 with a new heart, or dying
» with a full head of hair tomorrow . . .
»
» And there were no other choices, I’d pick a full head of hair and dead
»
» But it would have been an honorable death vs. a lifetime of dishonor
» bald, crawling the earth like a worm.
»
» But that’s just me.

I agree brother. Baldness sucks big time.