Advanced Follica discussion

why would guys with MPB get great results with natural 5 ar Inhibitors

i was losing 300 hairs per day until i added SP Then it went down to about 10 per day within 2 weeks

after 8 years on SP pygeum etc my hair has maintained and thickened a lot, how do you explain this?

how do you explain all the companies with Natural prostate remedies putting Saw Palmetto and all the other 5 ar inhibitors in there

» why would guys with MPB get great results with natural 5 ar Inhibitors
»
» i was losing 300 hairs per day until i added SP Then it went down to about
» 10 per day within 2 weeks
»
» after 8 years on SP pygeum etc my hair has maintained and thickened a lot,
» how do you explain this?
»
» how do you explain all the companies with Natural prostate remedies
» putting Saw Palmetto and all the other 5 ar inhibitors in there

before I added all my natural DHT blockers, my hair was see through on top and paper thin on the sides, since i added them it is no longer see through and the sides are three times as thick

» » why would guys with MPB get great results with natural 5 ar Inhibitors
» »
» » i was losing 300 hairs per day until i added SP Then it went down to
» about
» » 10 per day within 2 weeks
» »
» » after 8 years on SP pygeum etc my hair has maintained and thickened a
» lot,
» » how do you explain this?
» »
»

I explain it as Ive said before…it probably has an effect by methods other than alpha five reductase suppression internally. If it does not effect serum DHT, and probably only blocks a small-to-mediocre amount of one’s androgen uptake of androgens at the follicle receptor sites, then it probably has its effect through some of the following:

1. The beta sitosterol therein reduces cholesterol. Alot of testosterone is metabolized through cholesterol

2. More globulin, the “sex-hormone-binding-globulin” that carries testosterone and Dihydrotestosterone around in a “bound” form , thus lessing its availability to bind to receptor sites

3. Saw Palmetto is an anti-inflammatory

4. Saw Palmetto’s “ingredients” are:
    ANALYSIS
    Product Saw Palmetto
    Type Standardized extract
    Standardization 90% free fatty acids
    Character yellow color
    Solubility soluble in hexane
    Loss on drying 5.5%
    Assay: Main free fatty acids
    Caprylic acid .7%
    Capric acid .6%
    Lauric acid 19.3%
    Myristic acid 12.4%
    Palmitic acid 8.1%
    Palmitoleic acid .3%
    Stearic acid 1.9%
    Oleic acid 41.2%
    Linoleic acid 2.3%
    Linolenic acid 0.9%
    Arachidic acid 0.04%
    Main esters of:
    Caprylic acid .12%
    Capric acid .4%
    Lauric acid 2.3%
    Myristic acid 0.6%
    Palmitic acid 0.4%
    Oleic acid 1.7%
    Linoleic acid 0.6%
    Acid value 148.6
    Saponification value 222.2
    Iodine value 42.5
    Unsaponifiable value 1.7%
    Sterols 1.4%

5. Perhaps saw palmetto (or one of its ingredients) supresses a negative growth factor or two within the hair follicle like TGF-beta, TNF-alpha, Protien Kinease C, DKK-1, TGF-beta 2, Thrombospondin, or Fiberblast Growth Factor 5 or ups positive growth factors like IGF, IL-1 etc. Who knows

6. perhaps saw palmetto mitigates T-cell responses to hair or inhibits some of the prostlandins that inflame a hair follile (like ketoconazole does, latanaprost does, or green tea does), perhaps it defends against superoxide dismutase or is a potent anti-oxidant downstream of androgenice oxidative stress as garlic, black tea, and green tea, and perhaps blueberry anthocyanidns and pomegranates appears to be in prostate tissue in certain experimetns

7. The last and most least-likely explanation is that there is a huge conspiracy against saw palmetto and all these studies saying it doesnt affect serum DHT are lies and it actually does, but that is rather unlikely isn’t it.

In a test tube its components are very potent in their action of inhibiting alpha five reductase from converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, but free form fatty acids usually appear in nature as triglycerides and are apparently pretty easily re-converted back into triglycerides.
These fatty acids in particular:
Lauric acid 19.3%
Myristic acid 12.4%
Palmitic acid 8.1%
Palmitoleic acid .3%
Stearic acid 1.9%
Oleic acid 41.2%
Linoleic acid 2.3%
Linolenic acid 0.9%
would be inhibitors of alpha five reductase according to experiments that Ive seen Bryan post in the past (with the possible exception of Myristic and STearic) in their FREE forms. Saw Palmetto has more FREE form fatty acids than any other natural source.

If its working for you though…keep taking it.

Im not saying that it doesnt effect hair in a positive way. But will I will propose is that its by some other mechanism than alpha five reductase suppression or some complete binding inhibition at the receptor site. That seemingly would not make sense.

I did find this verbiage in explanation of saw palmetto’s effect on prostate tissue which is kinda unsatisfactory to me:
“What is interesting about the 5AR inhibition caused by saw palmetto is that it is prostate-specific. Not only does saw palmetto inhibit both types of 5AR in the prostate but not in other tested tissues (epididymis, testes, kidney, skin, and breast) in vitro [20], the active ingredients of saw palmetto concentrate in the prostate as opposed to other tissues after oral administration to rats [21]. This is in line with human studies indicating that saw palmetto extract preferentially reduces prostatic DHT and does not alter plasma DHT or sex hormone levels [9, 22-23]. This explains the lack of side effects in clinical trials. It also means that saw palmetto is unlikely to prevent hair loss.”

I got that here: GoEndurance.com is for sale | HugeDomains

My note about that is this: Perhaps experiments should be conducted to see that as in the prostate, saw palmetto DOES strangely inhibit alpha five in the scalp hair (why does it supress DHT by 32% in prostate tissue but no where else? Have they tried measuring anywhere else). Maybe it works on alpha five reductase in areas that are inflammed downstream of androgenic uptake? The natural world’s “Smart Drug”? Who knows?

If it is working for you, by all means I hope you stay on it. It is good for prostate tissue, that is known. It apparently has other uses also according to the things Ive read…

It is working but I do not credit it alone for the success since i am taking about 5 dht inhibitors, and you cannot separate out what works, I think they work better in combination

i am running out though and taking a pathetic amount lately since I have to order them from the USA, soon i will get another 6 month supply

yes whatever works, stay on it, agreed

» how do you know if you have regrowth if you shave your head
»
» does your girlfriend of NINETEEN YEARS mind

Because I had no hair there at all.I now have to shave hair there -DOH!

really?
» » why would guys with MPB get great results with natural 5 ar Inhibitors
» »
» » i was losing 300 hairs per day until i added SP Then it went down to
» about
» » 10 per day within 2 weeks
» »
» » after 8 years on SP pygeum etc my hair has maintained and thickened a
» lot,
» » how do you explain this?
» »
» » how do you explain all the companies with Natural prostate remedies