ACELL News

I spoke to Acell today and asked about a possible July release (as we’ve already heard) and they confirmed it. They stated that probably next week it will be released for human use. Definately before the end of July.

I again asked them about using it for hair loss. He stated that even though it hasn’t been tested for this purpose, they were confident that it would regenerate tissue and hair removed from the donor area. I asked them if the researchers also felt this way and they stated that the researchers are also confident in this.

Furthermore, I asked if it would require any further FDA regulations and they stated that the ACELL matrix would not need any further approvals. As it stands, it is approved for wound closure (which it would be accomplishing with a HT). Basically, all we need to do would be to find a doctor who is willing to try it and go for it. I felt confident (after speaking with them) that it would work…but I don’t want to get my hopes up (or anyone elses).

I also asked about expense. I asked if it would raise the price of a conventional HT to a great extent. They said to think in terms of hundred of dollars and not thousands. At this point, it is regulated by insurance codes. Even if it is used for cosmetic surgery (where insurance doesn’t cover it) it should not be too expensive…but I guess that is up to the indidual doctor.

I guess the best thing to do after it is released would be to contact as many doctors as possible and alert them to this. The people at ACELL stated that many doctors aren’t knowledgable about their product. That’s what I’m going to do.

I don’t want to set anyone up for disappointment (including myself) but things may be looking good for us.

Take Care,
Bill

Have you posted this on the HT board? Maybe there is somebody that will be getting a transplant soon and would be willing to talk to his doctor. Or maybe a doctor there would respond as well. Hell, if it’s only a few hundred dollars, I’m sure we could scrape that together just to see the results.

It certainly sounds promising…

I really hope ACELL looks into it. Im also not trying to get “hopes irrationally up”, but those pictures of animal’s deep wounds healing and the hair regrowing certainly are exciting from our standpoint. Glad to know some of you are watching this closely and sharing info with all of us. :slight_smile:

Somebody should ask Acell if they have observed the regrowth of hair follicles during their trials.

Since almost all of human skin has hair follicles, it is almost certain that Acell would know if it regrows hair follicles on their experimental subjects during the course of treating wounds!

great news! fingers crossed

Thanks Bill !

» Thanks Bill !

Just wanted to reiterate Amilcar’s comment - thanks very much for the update. You are an asset to this board.

» Somebody should ask Acell if they have observed the regrowth of hair
» follicles during their trials.
»
» Since almost all of human skin has hair follicles, it is almost certain
» that Acell would know if it regrows hair follicles on their experimental
» subjects during the course of treating wounds!

Valid Point Ahab. I didn’t think to ask this when I spoke to them. They were very receptive to speaking with me so I would encourage you to call. I am going to call them at the end of July to confirm the release before I e-mail any doctors. I’ll try to remember to ask that question then.

Take Care,
Bill

Well this probably goes without saying, but just because they grew human follicles somehwere on the body it doesn’t make scalp HM an automatic bet.

Not all hair follicles are created equal. And the ones on the scalp that we want are probably gonna be the hardest to get recreated.

Realisically I think it’ll probably work for us.

But I do have one question that remains to be answered about Acell & HM: What about those of us whos hair characteristics have changed DURING their lifetime?

My hair changed during my early teens. If Acell gave me back my natural follicles but they had been reverted to an early stage of my life, then the hair characteristics might literally not match the rest of my head.

Do I have to do FUE or STRIP in order to use Acell to regenerate the donor?

We can do a somewhat easier test for this. A person with hairy legs could remove about 1cm2 skin from his leg and then apply ACELL to it. The worst thing that would happen is you’d end up with a small scar, however, if we are lucky the person should grow his hair back.

That way you don’t have to worry about unexpected scars etc on your scalp. And if ACELL passes the leg test, it should also work on scalp.

» We can do a somewhat easier test for this. A person with hairy legs could
» remove about 1cm2 skin from his leg and then apply ACELL to it. The worst
» thing that would happen is you’d end up with a small scar, however, if we
» are lucky the person should grow his hair back.
»
» That way you don’t have to worry about unexpected scars etc on your scalp.
» And if ACELL passes the leg test, it should also work on scalp.

I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does grow body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp hair…but it’s worth a try.

» Do I have to do FUE or STRIP in order to use Acell to regenerate the donor?

You should be able to use it on either form of HT. If you use it for FUE, you would probably have to use the powder form. The only problem with the powder form is that of direction. That is, the regenerative capabilities of the extracellular matrix come from the basal membrane which is on one side of the sheet. When it is ground into a powder, it is difficult to be sure that the basal membrane if facing in the correct direction (faced out). It should still be no problem because, on average, enough particles of the basal membrane will be faced in the correct direction to achieve the desired results. (Or at least thats what they said when I spoke to them…I don’t claim to be an expert on this stuff so don’t take my words as law).

» I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does grow
» body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp
» hair…but it’s worth a try.

Yup…I’m definitely not saying that regrowth on leg equals proof of hairloss cure. What I’m implying is that if it recreate follicles on the leg, instead of just creating a scar tissue then there is high probability that it will do the same on the scalp. Another thing it will sort of prove is how effective this stuff is at reducing the formation of visible scars.

» » I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does grow
» » body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp
» » hair…but it’s worth a try.
»
» Yup…I’m definitely not saying that regrowth on leg equals proof of
» hairloss cure. What I’m implying is that if it recreate follicles on the
» leg, instead of just creating a scar tissue then there is high probability
» that it will do the same on the scalp. Another thing it will sort of prove
» is how effective this stuff is at reducing the formation of visible scars.

Any doctor or dermatologist can get this stuff? Can I just go to my derm and ask him to order the stuff and test it on me?

» » » I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does
» grow
» » » body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp
» » » hair…but it’s worth a try.
» »
» » Yup…I’m definitely not saying that regrowth on leg equals proof of
» » hairloss cure. What I’m implying is that if it recreate follicles on
» the
» » leg, instead of just creating a scar tissue then there is high
» probability
» » that it will do the same on the scalp. Another thing it will sort of
» prove
» » is how effective this stuff is at reducing the formation of visible
» scars.
»
» Any doctor or dermatologist can get this stuff? Can I just go to my derm
» and ask him to order the stuff and test it on me?

As far as I know, you can do that when it’s released for human use (in a week or two).

» My hair changed during my early teens. If Acell gave me back my natural
» follicles but they had been reverted to an early stage of my life, then the
» hair characteristics might literally not match the rest of my head.

It never ceases to amaze me how fussy some of you people get.

You should only know.

(Why me, oh God, and not the dufuses?)

» » I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does grow
» » body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp
» » hair…but it’s worth a try.
»
» Yup…I’m definitely not saying that regrowth on leg equals proof of
» hairloss cure. What I’m implying is that if it recreate follicles on the
» leg, instead of just creating a scar tissue then there is high probability
» that it will do the same on the scalp. Another thing it will sort of prove
» is how effective this stuff is at reducing the formation of visible scars.

What about just dermabrating the scalp and applying the wound matrix? Wouldn’t a mild dermabrasion not be a threat for scarring independent of Acell?

» Have you posted this on the HT board? Maybe there is somebody that will be
» getting a transplant soon and would be willing to talk to his doctor. Or
» maybe a doctor there would respond as well. Hell, if it’s only a few
» hundred dollars, I’m sure we could scrape that together just to see the
» results.

This stuff is being released to treat wounds in humans, right?

So it would seem it will become as standard as iodine for wounds of all kinds, including surgical.

Which includes strips taken from donor areas for hair transplants.

» » » I totally agree with you and as previously stated, even if it does
» grow
» » » body hair doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will regrow scalp
» » » hair…but it’s worth a try.
» »
» » Yup…I’m definitely not saying that regrowth on leg equals proof of
» » hairloss cure. What I’m implying is that if it recreate follicles on
» the
» » leg, instead of just creating a scar tissue then there is high
» probability
» » that it will do the same on the scalp. Another thing it will sort of
» prove
» » is how effective this stuff is at reducing the formation of visible
» scars.
»
»
»
» What about just dermabrating the scalp and applying the wound matrix?
» Wouldn’t a mild dermabrasion not be a threat for scarring independent of
» Acell?

Hells bells, if the stuff works, let them scalp you indian style and then sprinkle it on.