A thought experiment

Let’s assume that in 2015 company X comes out with a treatment that can move MPB sufferers forward two norwood classes (ie if you are a 5 the treatment can make you a 3 etc.). The treatment costs $US7500 (in 2008 $US) , requires a week off from work and has minimal side-effects. What sort of uptake would you expect in developed countries?

» Let’s assume that in 2015 company X comes out with a treatment that can
» move MPB sufferers forward two norwood classes (ie if you are a 5 the
» treatment can make you a 3 etc.). The treatment costs $US7500 (in 2008
» $US) , requires a week off from work and has minimal side-effects. What
» sort of uptake would you expect in developed countries?

does it only make a NW5 a NW3…or could it also make a NW3 a NW1? Would the hair be permanent or would the person need a DHT-inhibitor etc to keep them?

If it jumps a person 2 scales up then I’d say it’s interesting but it definitely won’t be something that guys will go crazy about. Still it the inventor/corporation should be able to make a few hundred million off of it with effective marketing.

» » Let’s assume that in 2015 company X comes out with a treatment that can
» » move MPB sufferers forward two norwood classes (ie if you are a 5 the
» » treatment can make you a 3 etc.). The treatment costs $US7500 (in 2008
» » $US) , requires a week off from work and has minimal side-effects.
» What
» » sort of uptake would you expect in developed countries?
»
» does it only make a NW5 a NW3…or could it also make a NW3 a NW1? Would
» the hair be permanent or would the person need a DHT-inhibitor etc to keep
» them?
»
» If it jumps a person 2 scales up then I’d say it’s interesting but it
» definitely won’t be something that guys will go crazy about. Still it the
» inventor/corporation should be able to make a few hundred million off of it
» with effective marketing.

Lets for the sake of argument say it can make a NW 3 or a NW 1 and the hair is permanent. I suspect any semi-cure could become something of a class marker if it’s relatively expensive. A bit like 20 somethings with crooked teeth whose parents couldn’t afford braces.

» Lets for the sake of argument say it can make a NW 3 or a NW 1 and the
» hair is permanent. I suspect any semi-cure could become something of a
» class marker if it’s relatively expensive. A bit like 20 somethings with
» crooked teeth whose parents couldn’t afford braces.

I doubt it, there will always be people who will be balding going from NW1 to NW2 and so on, and you some men just aren’t bothered by hairloss so they won’t do anything about it. So you’ll still see balding guys on the streets, albeit a bit less.

Yes, it’ll eventually be another thing like teeth.

Good/young appearance is part of the socioeconomic arms race now, even for men. That’s partly why having early major MPB is so cruel & unfair already.

As for the two Norwood levels - My big question would be, are we talking about a HT version of “two NW levels” that’s barely 2/3rds original density? Or are we talking a REAL two NWs of improvement?

If you were getting serious HTs, then a gift of two real full-density NWs would probably stretch to a third NW level just because of the increased donor hair.