Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

A summary of what\'s going on

I used to post years ago on this site, but took a break for a few years, and stopped paying close attention to the hair loss world.

Back then, people were talking about Intercytex, Gho, Bazan, Aderans…

So now, I’ve tried to catch up on the state of things, and put a little bit of commentary. Let me know if you think there are any inaccuracies, and please fill out any holes (for example, numbers in terms of Histogen and Replicel trials).

Aderans - Gone

Gho - Seems to now be performing some sort of “donor doubling” procedure. Hasn’t proved it, despite a few years now, and whether or not it works seems to still be up for much debate.

Histogen - Released results showing that they could grow hair in a Phase I/II trial, though the results didn’t seem very spectacular. Were involved in a sort of reverse merger recently that didn’t go through.

Replicel - Also released results showing some growth, though the numbers seem disappointing, more so than Histogen, though they seemed to talk up those results.

Follica - Seems to be based on wounding and growth factors. Not sure what their results have been so far. Recently hyped in a few media articles.

Nigam - Not sure what to make of this one. Reminds me a lot of Bazan (which left a bad taste in our mouths, many years ago). So far, some evidence of deceit, and no proof, and a lot of controversy. Hopefully we’ll know more in a few months.

Pilox II - Now this one is intriguing. Very good (and real looking) photos appear on a hair loss forum. Long term posters on that forum manage to apparently get into “trials” (though we don’t really know what’s going on). Suddenly, the whole thread is deleted, and no further talk about Pilox is allowed. I wonder if this has to do with proprietary photos having been posted without permission. Anyway, mysterious, but perhaps promising (with the usual heavy grain of salt).

Pilofocus - Not going to be a cure, but if it pans out, could revolutionize transplants.

CB-01-03 - Seems to be a topical inhibitor of DHT, more efficacious than Finasteride. Still in trials and not due for a release for a few years.

Any others?

Pilox II - the posters that got involved are not long term posters. There are two of them and one is brand new poster and he’s the same guy who brought Pilox II to the attention of the hair websites, and the other poster is a medium term poster - 11 or 12 months posting.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by licht[/postedby]
I used to post years ago on this site, but took a break for a few years, and stopped paying close attention to the hair loss world.

Back then, people were talking about Intercytex, Gho, Bazan, Aderans…

So now, I’ve tried to catch up on the state of things, and put a little bit of commentary. Let me know if you think there are any inaccuracies, and please fill out any holes (for example, numbers in terms of Histogen and Replicel trials).

Aderans - Gone

Gho - Seems to now be performing some sort of “donor doubling” procedure. Hasn’t proved it, despite a few years now, and whether or not it works seems to still be up for much debate.

Histogen - Released results showing that they could grow hair in a Phase I/II trial, though the results didn’t seem very spectacular. Were involved in a sort of reverse merger recently that didn’t go through.

Replicel - Also released results showing some growth, though the numbers seem disappointing, more so than Histogen, though they seemed to talk up those results.

Follica - Seems to be based on wounding and growth factors. Not sure what their results have been so far. Recently hyped in a few media articles.

Nigam - Not sure what to make of this one. Reminds me a lot of Bazan (which left a bad taste in our mouths, many years ago). So far, some evidence of deceit, and no proof, and a lot of controversy. Hopefully we’ll know more in a few months.

Pilox II - Now this one is intriguing. Very good (and real looking) photos appear on a hair loss forum. Long term posters on that forum manage to apparently get into “trials” (though we don’t really know what’s going on). Suddenly, the whole thread is deleted, and no further talk about Pilox is allowed. I wonder if this has to do with proprietary photos having been posted without permission. Anyway, mysterious, but perhaps promising (with the usual heavy grain of salt).

Pilofocus - Not going to be a cure, but if it pans out, could revolutionize transplants.

CB-01-03 - Seems to be a topical inhibitor of DHT, more efficacious than Finasteride. Still in trials and not due for a release for a few years.

Any others?[/quote]

Do you happen to remember who that second poster was?

Just want to add in Jahodas latest discovery, using 3d spherical Dermal Papilla cells to induce new hair growth. Problems to overcome are culturing DP cell while still retaining their ability to form new hairs. But this is being worked on right now. Still at least ten years away.

I also think SMP has taken off in the last two years. There are some great examples using SMP plus a bit of fue to create some texture working well for a lot of guys. In theory now with pilofocus you could go in heavy on the donor and move all your hair to the top for a bit of length then shave the sides and use SMP to fill in the blanks.

Good call on both counts.

SMP didn’t really exist as a realistic solution a few years ago. I suppose if done well, it could also be used to color in FUE dots as well.

Also perhaps Hygenia can be added to the list:

http://www.hygeiatherapeutics.com/portfolio.html

The graphic is a little old. I’m not sure what status it has now. Interestingly, it was recently bought by the same company that was going to merge with Histogen but didn’t.