A Natural Hairline Discussion... Hairtech

Below is a question I asked a while back. I am bringing it back up for newbie ghost readers and newbie posters.

Hairlines are paramount to rounding out a perfect transplant. Natural Hairline designs from the past as we all have seen were horrific at best… before the God Fathers of hairlines came around. Dr. Ron Shapiro first described a transition zone within the hairline. Sort of like walking into the woods from a grassy plain. You first see small shrubs, then small trees, then finally full large trees. The same principle was applied by Dr. Shapiro… being that naturally within a hairline do you see first small one haired grafts, then two haired grafts, and then finally large full grafts of 3or more hairs. Dr. Rose was also considered to be a God father as his refinements in hairlines have be-famed him today. Finally the design disseminated to other private doctors and eventually even made it into the large hair mills. So a standard natural theory of hairlines was confirmed and is practiced today.

A good hairline design will have:

A. No angled hairs.
B Angles between 30-45 degrees
C angles following the donor haired angles because that is how natural they are.
D. A pluggy hairline is most naturally angled from tuftyness.

I think it is good to discuss hairline importance. I will go ahead and say that (B) is probably the best design for most naturally looking hairlines. (A) is what folks have done in the past. © is what it would look like in the donor are which is seriously not a good angle for the hairline. (D) is an example of what a pluggy hairline would be… very unnatural.

Please add comments or or opinions to this discussion.

30-45 degrees can be pointing outward, left, right or backward, so which direction should it be? D on your picture is pointing outward but it can’t be always 45 degrees pointing outward all over the scalp otherwise it will look unnatural too.

D is like if the hairs were transplanted in clumps like when clinics do not trim hair very good. It looks pluggy or tufty. B is the best example.

» D is like if the hairs were transplanted in clumps like when clinics do not
» trim hair very good. It looks pluggy or tufty. B is the best example.

Sorry I was talking about B. How do you determine the 45 degrees should be pointing outward toward your nose or pointing to the left or right?

What a great question. I assumed like an idiot. It would be pointing out straight forward all the way around the perimeter of the forhead.:wink: .

A. No angled hairs.
B Angles between 30-45 degrees
C angles following the donor haired angles because that is how natural they are.
D. A pluggy hairline is most naturally angled from tuftyness.

You bring out some good points Hairtech but I dont think theose points are really the issue anymore.
Any top doc can create a good hairline that looks great on closer inspection. The problem is when you stand back and the see transplanted hair as a part of the whole picture.
It rarely looks natural cause the shape of the transplanted hair does not match up with its density.
The HT hair has one thickness and look while the other native hair on the sides hair looks very different.
Thats why it looks crappy many times I believe, even if the hairline itself looks good on closer inspection.

The reason for this is poorly designed positiioning of hairlines as well as a lack of denisty.
If someone has such low density naturally that you get from a HT then the hairline would not look that way. The U shaped hairlines are particularly bad in many cases. Thats why Armanis HTs look so good, the mimic nature in their fullness and the closed temples look normal.
They will undoubtedly create some serious disfigurement on the patients as their hairloss progresses (Which it always does), but before then they will look good.

I have yet to see many natural HTs and until the demand supply issue is solved I doubt we ever will.

El Gordo/Flacco,

You bring up very good points… For one thing it is hair from the back of your scalp… which means it has a different caliber than the top right?

So good clinics only know how to separate these hairs for the hairline. The creation of transition zone does that make a perfect hairline. Further scrutiny of hair caliber needs to be considered.

Dr. Rose has some of the best hairlines I have ever seen.

» Dr. Rose has some of the best hairlines I have ever seen.

I think dr. armani and dr. shapiro are 2 of the best for hairlines.