45 year old w/3121 grafts to frontal 3rd

1st Surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro - May 2005 - 1818 grafts = 3836 hairs

2nd Surgery with Dr. Paul Shapiro - March of 2008
1314 grafts - 2661 hairs

Total Grafts 3121 grafts/6497 hairs

Patient was in his 40’s with stable hairloss and responding well to long term use of Propecia-- Given these factors we could be more aggressive with his hairline and density.

Take Care,
Jason

The work is good but again 3000 grafts for someone who is barely a NW2 doesn’t sit very well with me.

This is excellent work on a v. good candidate. The patient is not “barely a NW2.” He is a solid NW3. Good age for a plant. Very good hair characteristics. One problem.

This is very clockable as HT because of the painful lack of temple points. Now that the Shapiro brothers do FUE, bring this guy back and construct some temple points. Maybe a few hundred grafts.

Then the work will be superb.

This is the age I like to see HT happen.

TheFittest

A nice result. The patient looks alot younger!

Honestly I am not all that impressed with the resulting volume/coverage, given the graft count. It’s certainly not WEAK here, but I’m just saying it’s not the best I’ve seen on the net.

But that’s gotta be one of the most realistic transplanted hairlines that I’ve ever seen in my life. The transition from shiny forehead skin to hairy scalp skin is AWESOME.

(These two comments I’m making might be related come to think of it. They’re both potential signs of thin hair shaft characteristics.)

Guys—this patient was a NW3, with slightly less than average hair characteristics. Additionally, with patients who have this type thinning you have to almost work from the native density forward ---- decreasing as you go toward the hairline. Obviously, we could have went for another 500-1000 grafts to create a “wall of hair” but this guy is in his 40’s–he is not 25-30–HUGE difference in what he was looking for.

The hairline was lowered a bit and his “power alley’s” are no more. Try as anyone might seem negative, seeing this patient in person would be amazing to many of you. For others, you most likely have a different idea of what a HT should look like.

While I find it hard to dislike anything about this result, perhaps people could say, “that hairline is not what I personally want, but for this patient it is excellent” --I think that is what I am reading into the comments.

Fittest–your 100% right— this patient could use some light temple points. However, when he came in for his 2nd procedure he decided to keep his look and go for more density in the hairline only. While Dr. Shapiro will recommend them, and stress the importance of them, some patients just decide they do not want them. This patient happens to be one of them.

In any case, the cosmetic gain from before to after is tremendous and completely natural–which is what we at SMG strive for every time.

Take Care,
Jason

Woh Woh Woh. Lets put the facts out there. First of all if this was an Armani patient I think the same exact people (if not more) would have ripped him a new a-hole. You can soak-n-wet the patients hair in the pre-op photos but it still will not look as thin as you would like it to appear for the public eye. Again, Armani is KNOWN for getting blasted if the pre-op pics were wet and the post-op pics were dry.

Where are the graft placements?? Please tell us and show us the grow placements. If Armani would have used a similar number of grafts the hair line would have been lower, the temples would have been thorouly closed, and grafts would have been blended within thinning scalp in zones 1 and/or 2. But I don’t see any thinning in this gentelman’s scalp. Again, Armani would have been BLASTED for not posting graft placement also.

Bottom line, those who cry on other threads about “wet pre-op pics compared to dry post-op pics” seem to all have gone on vacation or their hidden agendas are irrelevent towards this clinic. Super nice natural hairline for this guy. As one previous poster said “one of the best natural looking” i’ve seen as well. But anyone who believes this guy was a NW3 should have their eyes re-examined. He did not look thin to me at all on the scalp regardless of the wetness. Too many grafts used here in my opinion.

» 1st Surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro - May 2005 - 1818 grafts = 3836 hairs
»
» 2nd Surgery with Dr. Paul Shapiro - March of 2008
» 1314 grafts - 2661 hairs
»
» Total Grafts 3121 grafts/6497 hairs
»
» Patient was in his 40’s with stable hairloss and responding well to long
» term use of Propecia-- Given these factors we could be more aggressive with
» his hairline and density.
»
» Take Care,
» Jason
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»

AGAIN-- this is a SHAPIRO MEDICAL GROUP patient.

I do not care one iota about your opinion concerning another clinic.

If you want to comment on Armani threads, there are hundreds of them here.

Comment on the work. Comment about how you would have done it different. Comment about how you can accurately assess someones NW level every time.

In short, take your agenda away from SMG’s threads. If you continue to offer these ignorant agenda comments, I’ll have the mod handle it further.

Let me be clear AGAIN-- I will NOT be drawn into some stupid agenda battle with patients/fans/etc… of other clinics.

This is a GREAT before and after…end of story…the Fittest has already described a small shortcoming in this patient’s choice–that was addressed by ME already.

Jason

Well, for what it’s worth, my A-hole ripping tendencies are not usually focused on picture quality criticsms.

I usually just start firing at Dr. you-know-who for the relationship between age/hairline/loss progression.

This one is a NW#3-to-#2 transplant, on a guy in his 40s, without major thinning anywhere else on his head. IMHO that ranks as pretty conservative no matter which clinic did it.

Cal, for the record I wasn’t refering to you in any way shape or form as i think you post unbiased posts as you see it and i always take into consideration what you write.

Jason/B spot, thanks for the prompt reply. Feel free to complain to the mod and having me banned…question is, for what??
But you have a point, I should not have brought other clinics/surgeons into it. My point was, just like you stated in your post, certain people target certain clinics.

Moving forward, I don’t think you nor anyone else can prevent me or anyone else from expressing their opinion on a patients hair trnasplant result posted on this forum. Actualy, come to think of it, I posted something negative about Dr Shapiro months ago by accident and emailed the Hairsite admin immediately to have it removed. So don’t think assume I have hidden agendas here just because I said the patient did not look like he needed over 1,500 in each corner of his NW2 going on NW3 temple.
I won’t even mention why the post-op pic was not with wet hair as the pre-op pic is - thats not a concern of mine but mentioned previously for a comparison that shouldnt have been made in the first place.

So, is there anyway you can show graft placement of this guy? If not, no problem.

» AGAIN-- this is a SHAPIRO MEDICAL GROUP patient.
»
» I do not care one iota about your opinion concerning another clinic.
»
» If you want to comment on Armani threads, there are hundreds of them here.
»
»
» Comment on the work. Comment about how you would have done it different.
» Comment about how you can accurately assess someones NW level every time.
»
» In short, take your agenda away from SMG’s threads. If you continue to
» offer these ignorant agenda comments, I’ll have the mod handle it further.
»
»
» Let me be clear AGAIN-- I will NOT be drawn into some stupid agenda battle
» with patients/fans/etc… of other clinics.
»
» This is a GREAT before and after…end of story…the Fittest has already
» described a small shortcoming in this patient’s choice–that was addressed
» by ME already.
»
»
» Jason

Fantastic hairline! Immediate Post-op pictures would have been great however.

It looks like a nice natural result. The patient should really think about getting the temple points as this would finish the HT off nicely.

Thank You Gentleman.

All as ask is that you comment on our work and not bring other issues into it.

MJ–I have no problem with your comments about SMG work, positive or negative.

I have long encouraged freedom of speech on the forums and I continue to support that.

I would never seek to get anyone banned EVER!-- For simply speaking their opinion on our work. What I cannot have is what happened on a couple of other forums where almost every thread deteriorated into a clinic vs clinic type of free-for-all, with no productive discourse whatsoever.

I expect a fair opinion on our work, which I will do my best to explain, just like in this thread about this patient’s lack of clearly defined temple points.

I apologize if I came out too harsh, but some of the comments evoke very strong opinions from members which can be expressed on other threads.

I’ll see if I can get some immediate post-op pics of this patient for you guys.

Take Care,
Jason

Jason out of curiosity, how much does Shapiro charge for strip?

» Jason out of curiosity, how much does Shapiro charge for strip?

Ipod—Dr. Shapiro is 5.00 per graft for the 1st 2000 and 2.50 per graft thereafter. There is a travel discount for out of town patients of 1000.00 to help cover airfare and stay.

If you have any additional questions regarding any of our services, please do not hesitate to ask.

Take Care,
Jason

Some comments to posters above:

1. The reason people deplore some of Dr. Armani’s work is simple: the patient displayed will often be two decades younger than the one shown here. Re-read that last sentence and thoroughly digest it. Because you need to know what the point is. It is age.

2. The patient is not a NW2. The patient is a NW3. You need to know the difference if you’re going to comment on it.

3. The number of grafts used is not “too many.” The patient is at the ideal age for HT if HT is to be done at all. Unlike a growing boy in his early twenties, this man knows that he is unlikely to demonstrate aggressive MPB, and has stabilized his hair loss with medication. The number of grafts used is prudent and indeed somewhat conservative.

4. People comment on the exceptional naturalness of this plant as if that’s a secondary feature of the result. This is ludicrous. The naturalness of this plant, the hairline transition, is wickedly soft and suave. There is nothing more important than the aesthetic result of HT b/c HT is an extremely risky operation. Every patient risks being functionally disfigured by HT. Therefore it is a great pleasure to see such subtle placement. And I rarely take pleasure in HT. If this patient would allow Dr. Shapiro to add temple-points, he would have a shot at that unlikeliest of all things: a truly superb HT.

My question to wannabe critical commenters: how many HT’s have you seen in-person? If the answer is not “more than a few” than get your ass out there and do it. Because if you don’t know what HT looks like on a sunny summer LA, New York or Peoria street, then you know jack about HT. If you have not seen plenty of HT live you know nothing. Nothing.

I have seen Dr. Shapiro’s work in-person. IMO, he’s one of the few that can touch Cole when it comes to finesse and softness at the hairline. And that’s that.

So many HT’s look subtly stuck-on to the skull. Shapiro avoids this here. Now if only the patient would shell out for some soft temple-points. :wink:

TheFittest