3D Spheroid Cultures are absolutely cutting-edge science, but

Roger_that, What exactly are epithelial features in the culture?

Aren’t there different ways to address the issue of epithelial features in the culture and do you think Dr. Jahoda has figured out the correct way to do this and if he has will he share that info with Dr. Nigam? I remember reading where Dr. Jahoda was being coy about what he planned to do to resolve this issue.

And if Dr. Jahoda shares that info with Dr. Nigam will Dr. Nigam be able to use it in practical treatment? And if he can could there still be more hurdles to cross?

Something that would simulate being in actual tissue, to trick the cells into behaving as if they’re in the body.

Maybe not this exactly but something like it but designed more to feel like the appropriate environment:

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2010/july/muscle-stem.html

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
Something that would simulate being in actual tissue, to trick the cells into behaving as if they’re in the body.[/quote]

Yup. Makes me think of this research: 'Mini human brains' created: Scientists grow human brain tissue in 3-D culture system | ScienceDaily and especially this quote: “Instead of using so-called patterning growth factors to achieve this, scientists at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) fine-tuned growth conditions and provided a conducive environment. As a result, intrinsic cues from the stem cells guided the development towards different interdependent brain tissues”.

It’s all about creating that ‘conducive environment’ to trick the cells into behaving as if they’re in the body, that’s what Jahoda has to figure out. And maybe he’s made progress there, I’m sure we’ll know more about that this friday.

Is this going to take years? Can this be done in months? Can we get this over with now?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
Something that would simulate being in actual tissue, to trick the cells into behaving as if they’re in the body.

[postedby]Originally Posted by myself2[/postedby]

Yup. Makes me think of this research: 'Mini human brains' created: Scientists grow human brain tissue in 3-D culture system | ScienceDaily and especially this quote: “Instead of using so-called patterning growth factors to achieve this, scientists at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) fine-tuned growth conditions and provided a conducive environment. As a result, intrinsic cues from the stem cells guided the development towards different interdependent brain tissues”.

It’s all about creating that ‘conducive environment’ to trick the cells into behaving as if they’re in the body, that’s what Jahoda has to figure out. And maybe he’s made progress there, I’m sure we’ll know more about that this friday.[/quote]

“Oh, we’ve got a few ideas on how to make it work.” (smiles knowingly)

I hate to break it to you JarJar, but this is not very convincing evidence that they have actually solved the problem yet.

Daphne Zohar & Cotsarelis & Follica have practically made a career out of these kinds of cryptic leading comments.