2000 FUHT - 9 mth result for CROWN (an interesting case)

Dear forum readers,
The crown swirl area is often of an equal concern for the patient.
Such is a case we are going to discuss and document today.
This patient had frontal as well as crown area hairloss. However, in his first stage HT, he wanted to focus on the crown-swirl area.

In such situations, my advise is to go for a low to moderate density. It would not look very natural to have a very dense hair regrowth in the crown area with sparse hair growth in frontal and hairline zones.

In his first stage, the patient (nickname crown) chose to go for a 2000 FUHT graft procedure.

He visited us 9 months after his procedure. He is very happy with the outcome. According to him, when he grows his hair out, there does not seem to be any hairloss in the crown area. Moreover, the hair regrowth merges very naturally with his existing hair in the surrounding scalp zones.

Following is a self explanatory picture sequence

Before

After graft placement

After 9 months (and a buzzcut)

Regards,
Dr. A

12_file54.wmv

» 12_file54.wmv
Is he going to have his crown redone(for increased density) when he has his frontal areas fixed??

Regards,
hairlove.

» Is he going to have his crown redone(for increased density) when he has
» his frontal areas fixed??
»
» Regards,
» hairlove.

Dear Hairlove,
By keeping the crown swirl area at a relatively lower density the patient has retained the option of choosing whether or not he wants it thickened. The front hairline area will be denser. If he wants, he can thicken the crown or leave it as it is. For the present, he has not decided.
Regards,
Dr. A

» Dear forum readers,
» The crown swirl area is often of an equal concern for the patient.
» Such is a case we are going to discuss and document today.
» This patient had frontal as well as crown area hairloss. However, in his
» first stage HT, he wanted to focus on the crown-swirl area.
»
» In such situations, my advise is to go for a low to moderate density. It
» would not look very natural to have a very dense hair regrowth in the crown
» area with sparse hair growth in frontal and hairline zones.
»
» In his first stage, the patient (nickname crown) chose to go for a
» 2000 FUHT graft procedure.
»
» He visited us 9 months after his procedure. He is very happy with the
» outcome. According to him, when he grows his hair out, there does not seem
» to be any hairloss in the crown area. Moreover, the hair regrowth merges
» very naturally with his existing hair in the surrounding scalp zones.
»
» Following is a self explanatory picture sequence
»
» Before
»

»
» After graft placement
»
»
» After 9 months (and a buzzcut)
»
»
»
»
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Very remarkable results Dr Arvind, looks great up to this point but I would like to see his upcoming months progress perhaps at month 10 or 12, because I knwo form experience at that length it looks denser than it will at long legnth.

This is exactly my problem pertaining to his large area of baldness, and thanks for posting these pics as prime example. The radius of his crown loss is big, and it extends down to where surgeons normally extract fue grafts to use as donor hair!! But we see now with our own eyes that this area of donor hairs are sensitive to DHT!!! Which may explain why some patients experience a shed of their transplanted hairs - DUH.

I would be interested in your view MJ (and Dr. A) but I feel that for the crown, the biggest difference is between slick bald and thin hair rather than between thin and full hair. If this kind of result can be easily achieved with 2000 grafts then count me in (saving the thicker look for the front).

what I personally do not want or like is a thick front and no crown (even if an additional surgery is planned for the crown). I would rather have a thin look all over. The other issue is that if the crown is not transplanted even thinly but is miniaturized and then the front only is transplanted, when the hair grows to any length there is a very stark contrast with the crown which will not grow very long. On the other hand, if the crown is transplanted thinly then at least the hair can grow to the same length as the frontal transplants.

» I would be interested in your view MJ (and Dr. A) but I feel that for the
» crown, the biggest difference is between slick bald and thin hair rather
» than between thin and full hair. If this kind of result can be easily
» achieved with 2000 grafts then count me in (saving the thicker look for the
» front).
»
» what I personally do not want or like is a thick front and no crown (even
» if an additional surgery is planned for the crown). I would rather have a
» thin look all over. The other issue is that if the crown is not
» transplanted even thinly but is miniaturized and then the front only is
» transplanted, when the hair grows to any length there is a very stark
» contrast with the crown which will not grow very long. On the other hand,
» if the crown is transplanted thinly then at least the hair can grow to the
» same length as the frontal transplants.

Dear Marco,
I agree with your sentiments. I know you have posted similar views over the years which had led me to dwell on ways to acheive what you suggest (that is to not leave the crown completely empty). However, there are instances where the graft numbers simply do not allow filling the front as well as the crown in a single sitting. But barring those situations, I am now more receptive to this idea and have used it in many patients that do desire such an approach.
Regards,
Dr. A