What\'s up with Biotin?

Biotin supplementation has long been associated with healthy hair, skin and nails, but a recent article says that, “…there are no studies to date that show improvements in hair loss while taking biotin supplements.” This raises a question in my mind as to why many health care providers even recommend biotin to individuals suffering from hair loss. i find that more and more people today are growing impatient and weary towards pharmaceutical drugs that offer more of a solution to the symptoms then the actual problem. Even physicians today are frustrated by insurance companies dictating drug treatments for their patients. This is one of the many reasons why many are turning towards more natural alternatives for one’s health concerns. Though natural products generally present many solutions with little side effects, caution must still be exercised in order to avoid falling victim to empty claims made by some about the effectiveness of certain vitamins and supplements.

What are your thoughts?

Reference: Yates, William. “An overview of Biotin as it relates to hair loss.” Apr 2013: 52-53.

I’m not sure how it helps with hair loss, but I take it for the hair I have and my nails, since they are fragile. It seems to help quite a bit. In addition, I have also used prenatal vitamins. I know it’s odd for a guy to take them, but all they are is amped up amounts of a general multi-vitamin. I would recommend.:hungry:

This version applied topically helps with growth

"Biotinyl Tripepdide-1

A tripeptide-1 is a specialized synthetic molecule containing three amino acid residues - glycerine, histidine and lysine, and is considered a protein derivative. It is used frequently as a skin-conditioning agent for its role in building and preventing the break down of collagen. Biotin is a B vitamin (C10H16N2O3S) essential for cellular growth in the body, as well as the activity of many enzyme systems. It is an ingredient commonly found in many dermatologist-recommended hair loss treatments for its key role in the manufacturing of healthy hair. "

Anybody tried it?