UK5099 - Lactate - Hair Follicle Stem Cells

What do we know about solution’s concentration and stability issues?

I don’t think we know anything about those things yet. It appears to be a relatively low molecular weight molecule which is probably polar and maybe weakly acidic. That means it’s probably water soluble, which is good. Adding DMSO to the solution might make it even more soluble and get it into the skin. I have no idea about the best concentration but I think starting out at a VERY dilute solution would be the way to go.

You guys are going to get yourselves killed using stuff that nobody knows anything about yet.

I don’t think you can kill yourself with this amount of substance.
But I wonder what happens, when you strip mitochondria of pyruvate?

Maybe the answer is this simple: hair grows.

Is it not likely that this substance has already been safety data tested on human skin? For instance:
http://file.medchemexpress.com/batch_PDF/HY-15475/UK-5099_SDS_MedChemExpress.pdf

@fissionable - Thanks for that info. I think it’s good that this confirms that UK5099 is not acutely toxic to the skin, but that’s a bit different from a safety study which would show any side effects from longer term exposure.

I’m reading that the 2 drugs identified as possibly effective by UCLA have not yet been in clinical trials (presumably for anything).

@PKemp - Dr. Kemp, if you are reading this, what do you think about this? Could HairClone become involved in trials for these drugs if and when UCLA initiates them? (Note: Judging by its name, UK5099 appears to have been possibly developed in the UK. Do you know who owns rights to this drug?)

What is this and what makes you think that this can grow hair?

“Inhibitor of plasma membrane monocarboxylate transporters (MCTs) and the mitochondrial pyruvate carrier (MPC).”

[quote=“Tsla, post:9, topic:27769, full:true”]
What is this and what makes you think that this can grow hair?

“Inhibitor of plasma membrane monocarboxylate transporters (MCTs) and the mitochondrial pyruvate carrier (MPC).” [/quote]

Some research scientists at UCLA found a big difference between lactate levels in mouse skin between hairless mice and mice with hair, particularly inside the Hair Follicle Stem Cells (HFSCs). The HFSCs in the hairy mice were activated; the ones in the hairless mice were dormant.

When you ingest food that contains glucose (simple sugar), it gets broken down in the body’s metabolic cycle and changed to other molecules. Some of it becomes pyruvate which goes to the mitochondria – little mini-organs inside your cells – and from there it makes energy for the cells (like, for your muscles). Another thing that can happen to the pyruvate molecule is, it doesn’t go to the mitochondria for energy production, but instead it can be converted into lactate. (Lactate is the same chemical that builds up in your muscles after strenuous exercise and makes them feel tired.)

If the HFSCs have a lot of lactate in them, apparently they become activated and start making hair. If they have low levels of lactate, or no lactate, they become dormant and do nothing – at least that’s what the UCLA scientists found in their study. This is analogous with what they think happens in balding people.

If you add this drug, UK5099 (or the other drug they found), by applying it topically, perhaps it will increase lactate levels in the HFSCs, and revive the miniaturized follicles in people with MPB.

I thought the consensus of this board is to not place too much faith in studies done on mice.

That’s why they have to do trials on this stuff as soon as possible.

@roger_that

Thanks bud, you sure know your stuff. You should be working for one of these research companies, we need someone like you to steer research in the right direction.

Here is a study about lactate and HUMAN mesenchymal stem cell gene expression.

Anyone trying UK5099?
Apparently, none of them sell it for private use.

I hope it is as simple as applying lactate topically to hair follicles. Can we get a hair transplant clinic to order the stuff?

In my opinion, it is a lot more important to block pyruvate from entering mitochondria, thus making it convert into lactate within a cell. As it is a natural process within cell.
Just trying artificially to force more lactate into cell perhaps won’t do much. As perhaps none of it is ever going to get working.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that simple, but if it is, then Lactated Ringer’s solution might work… It’s a solution used in IVs to restore electrolytes and contains lactate.

The reason I don’t think it’s that simple is that lactate applied topically might be almost instantly converted to something else (like pyruvate) as soon as it hits the skin. That’s why I think you have to target the lactate dehydrogenase enzyme deep within the cells.

But, who knows, it may be worth a try…