Topical Finasteride

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience going from oral finasteride to topical? If you got sides from oral, are you going to get them from topical?

What percentage of the topical fin is absorbed into the body?

Is topical fin as effective as oral?

Thanks

i prefer oral and topical.

between the two, i’d definately pick oral.

Finasteride is strictly a type 2 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.
It is primarily Type 1 5-alpha reductase that is found in the dermis of the scalp tissues.

Since when they have a topical finesteride.
Have you heard of anyone using it?

» Since when they have a topical finesteride.
» Have you heard of anyone using it?

i fold a thick piece of A4 paper in half. I put 10mg worth of finasteride tablets in the middle. I hammer it with a hammer till its crushed into powder. I open a new bottle of minoxidil. I slide the powder into the bottle. I close the cap. I shake the heck out of it.

That’s how i create topical minoxidil. I don’t know if it stays chemically stable in the minox to be honest. Anyway the minox contains alcohol which dissolves the finasteride tablet and that’s the vehicle to get both minox & finasteride to where it needs to go.

» » Since when they have a topical finesteride.
» » Have you heard of anyone using it?
»
» i fold a thick piece of A4 paper in half. I put 10mg worth of finasteride
» tablets in the middle. I hammer it with a hammer till its crushed into
» powder. I open a new bottle of minoxidil. I slide the powder into the
» bottle. I close the cap. I shake the heck out of it.
»
» That’s how i create topical minoxidil. I don’t know if it stays chemically
» stable in the minox to be honest. Anyway the minox contains alcohol which
» dissolves the finasteride tablet and that’s the vehicle to get both minox &
» finasteride to where it needs to go.

Freddie

Did you notice any improvement when you added the topical Fin? If so, can you elaborate?

i take a ton of anti-androgens.

Avodart, finasteride and more recently topical finasteride.

Best I can say is i’ve kept my hair on my head. Some people have a miraculous response to finasteride, i’m not one of them. But given that this disease is progressive, i’m happy to keep what i have.

I hope to stay on this regiment (assuming it does not drive me to impotency) until a cure comes out - which may be 5 years away or may be never.

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Finasteride) - http://www.generic-medshop.com I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

» Hello everyone,
»
» Does anyone have experience going from oral finasteride to topical? If you
» got sides from oral, are you going to get them from topical?
»
» What percentage of the topical fin is absorbed into the body?
»
» Is topical fin as effective as oral?
»
» Thanks

Yes, I used oral finasteride perhaps 15 years ago, and my hair started growing like crazy (thousands of new hairs, and my existing hair shafts thickened all over my head). But I got a nut ache, so I gave the stuff up. More recently, I decided to try topical finasteride from minoxidil solutions. I thought I was in the clear for the first couple of days, but by the third day, I started to get the nut ache again. And I as only taking about 1/4 the recommended dose.

So the topical version definitely works. However, it works because it absorbs into the bloodstream just like the oral version.

» Finasteride is strictly a type 2 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.
» It is primarily Type 1 5-alpha reductase that is found in the dermis
» of the scalp tissues.

Nevertheless, it’s the type 2 form of the enzyme which is responsible for hair loss.

» Nevertheless, it’s the type 2 form of the enzyme which is
» responsible for hair loss.

how do you know it isn’t type 1 as well?

» » Nevertheless, it’s the type 2 form of the enzyme which is
» » responsible for hair loss.
»
» how do you know it isn’t type 1 as well?

Because we have live models for people with 5AR-2 deficiencies. People with 5AR-2 mutations don’t go bald.

» » Nevertheless, it’s the type 2 form of the enzyme which is
» » responsible for hair loss.
»
» how do you know it isn’t type 1 as well?

It’s been carefully tested, in both humans and stumptailed macaques: a specific type 1 inhibitor (called MK386 by Merck) has no significant effect on hair loss. A specific type 2 inhibitor, on the other hand (called finasteride, also by Merck), does work to fight hair loss, and in both humans and stumptailed macaques! :slight_smile:

» » how do you know it isn’t type 1 as well?
»
» It’s been carefully tested, in both humans and stumptailed macaques: a
» specific type 1 inhibitor (called MK386 by Merck) has no significant effect
» on hair loss. A specific type 2 inhibitor, on the other hand (called
» finasteride, also by Merck), does work to fight hair loss, and in both
» humans and stumptailed macaques! :slight_smile:

This is a message from Dr. Kevin McElwee from 2001 when he was administrator of the keratin dot com website.

Depending on the age of the texts you are reading you might see different statements. Initially it was thought hair follicles only produced type I 5a reductase, but fairly recently type II was also identified in hair follicles. Sebacoues glands are a primary source, but other parts of the follicle are also involved (root sheaths), plus the skin between the follicles too. The exact expression patterns have not been conclusively pinned down so expect some differences of opinion in the texts.

Type I and II 5a reductase are also active elsewhere in the body. See page; http://www.keratin.com/ac/baldnessbiology/baldnessbiochemistry/002reductasetissuedistribution.shtml for a summary.

In terms of why enzymes are active in some follicles and not others - no one knows. It’s one of those mysteries yet to be solved. Why do beard follicles respond to DHT with hair growth while scalp hair follicle respond with hair loss - no one knows.

The diet influence on AGA is discussed quite a bit at conferences. Inaba’s hypothesis has potential given that AGA is on the increase in Japan as is an increasingly Westernized diet and increased animal fat intake. But a statistical association does not prove actual cause and effect. So until someone does a controlled study on dietary fat intake and 5a reductase/DHT and hair loss there is a question mark over Inaba’s suggestion.

del

There is no commerical topical finasteride but what I do is just buy the 1mg tablets and crush them up into my shampoo and it works great. You can buy them for about 1 dollar a pill here without a prescription http://best-preparation-online.com

Herbal Hair Loss Pills - http://foliactive.com

No, I haven’t tried topical fin. I take pills and they work good for me. Why do you think about the switching from oral to topical fin? Have you experienced any side effects from oral fin?