Shiseido (Replicel technology) baldness cure on the market by 2018?

Years ago, Gho said it’s more difficult to stimulate balding follicles that have been shrunken for a long time. JTR thought it had to do with scarring that occurs after many years have passed. But as long as the miniature hair is emerging from the skin, the follicle is probably good-to-go.

New follicle response rate has mostly to do with biochemical individuality, but I can see how a bald scalp could have a (supporting-cast) chemistry further from normal than a partially bald scalp.

:slight_smile: should I be excited? Another reason for me to put off getting a hair transplant :slight_smile:

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by helpmeout[/postedby]
:slight_smile: should I be excited? Another reason for me to put off getting a hair transplant :)[/quote]

Mark my words: HAIR LOSS IS CURED!! That will be demonstrated at the 2015 hair loss congress. The only thing now is that we have to wait for the cure to get to market. And it will come to market quickly in Japan.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by helpmeout[/postedby]
:slight_smile: should I be excited? Another reason for me to put off getting a hair transplant :slight_smile:

[postedby]Originally Posted by jarjarbinx[/postedby]

Mark my words: HAIR LOSS IS CURED!! That will be demonstrated at the 2015 hair loss congress. The only thing now is that we have to wait for the cure to get to market. And it will come to market quickly in Japan.[/quote]

Should a NW6 like myself be excited over this?

I don’t know about a NW6. I was thinking in terms of people like me. I’m a NW3-NW4.

If researchers grew hair on bald mouse then why they should’t do that on bald men?

If they can’t grow hair on slick bald men with NW6 pattern hairloss then it’s not a real cure.

(I am copying & pasting this from a post on another MPB forum.)

"This is what I received after emailing and they have said it on their Facebook page as well:

Thank you for your question. I have
received a number of inquiries related to these articles and Shiseido’s use of IPSCs. We cannot verify the accuracy of this statement but what we can clarify is that the technology licensed from RepliCel Life Sciences, RCH-01, does not involve any cellular reprogramming or IPSC technology. Shiseido’s licensed technology from RepliCel (RCH-01) uses naturally occurring dermal sheath cup (DSC) cells isolated from DHT-hormone resistant hair follicles located at the back of the patient’s head. These cells are grown over several weeks to yield millions of new cells. These cells are returned to the patient/subject and injected into areas on the scalp where there is hair loss. These cells are not reprogrammed or changed into another cell type in any way. We simply grow more of the exact same cell.

RepliCel’s belief is that injections of RCH-01 replaces the androgen-sensitive DSC cells (responsible for maintaining the cell populations linked to hair fibre growth) with androgen-insensitive DSC cells. In each follicle that this is accomplished we believe the result will be permanent and result in hair growth in that follicle. What is required to halt the progression of the disease is the conversion of each susceptible follicle with androgen insensitive cells. We believe hair regrowth and halting disease progression are both ultimately achievable with our product. Shiseido and RepliCel both anticipate initiating clinical trials (Japan and Germany) testing different doses and multiple injections to determine what works best."

They phrased it, “we simply grow more of the exact same cell” - without losing most of the trichogenicity in the process?

So if I understand correctly, the ISPC project is run by Shiseido, but not part of Replicel. That’s what I thought…

It's explained here:

3 years is bullsh*t to me … We have had MANY (inifite?) claims regarding the so-called end of hairloss in just a few years.

ALL of those claims turned out to be a bunch a lies.

I bet you a million dollar hair loss is still there in 2018, even in 2028 if you wish :wink:

You remember the story of the boy who cried wolf… He was wrong so many times that finally when he was right nobody believed it. So this could be that one real time. Or, it could be totally unrealistic hype. I wouldn’t write something off JUST because we’ve seen a lot of false promises before, though.

We are going to get good news at the 2015 Hair Loss Congress. I can feel
it in my follicles. We are going to get good news on more than one front.
We are going to get good news about SM04554 and Shisheido’s iPS cells, and
other hair-related matters.

I dunno. It could go either way.

The only really hard & fast rule I stick to is that efficacy has not been proven until someone gets a big obvious restoration of their high NW level baldness.

There are too many ways to cheat the visual appearance of the results to settle for “we proved it works on a small level so it logically will work when we scale it up.” I won’t buy that. Go follow through with scaling it up and then show me the results.

Cal, I’ll bet you $10 that we will get good news at the 2015 hair loss
congress or shortly thereafter - by the end of the year. By "good news"
I don’t necessarily mean a complete cure; I mean a significant
improvement over the currently available treatments - Rogaine, Finasteride,
and Dutasteride. I’m betting we’ll get news of a substantially more
effective treatment (than proscar, dutasteride, or rogaine) which will
be available within 3 years.

We could have Hairsite hold the money if you want to take me up on the bet.

There are a lot of signs that SM04554 is a significant improvement over
the presently available treatment options. Let me give you one sign:

The company behind SM04554, Samumed, recently initiated a supplemental
phase 2 that will involve biopsies. The company is now recruiting for the
supplemental phase 2 study. This is a brand new study that does not involve
the test patients from either the phase 1 study or the original phase 2 study.
This study will cost the company millions of dollars. The original phase 2 is
nearly completed and the company likely already knows whether or not the
test subjects in the original phase 2 study are getting regrowth or not. If
the test patients from the original phase 2 study were not getting
regrowth why would the company waste millions of dollars on a
supplemental phase 2 study?

Phase 2 studies are where companies first get a good idea of whether or
not a treatment works. Phase 2 studies are also way less expensive than
phase 3 studies. I know that doing a supplemental phase 2 is not
the same as moving onto a phase 3 but the same principal still applies.
The company likely knows whether or not SM04554 works and
they’ve decided to move deeper into clinical trials.

I think they must have seen something positive in the original phase 2
study and I’m willing to bet $10 on it.

There are public stories indicating that Shishiedo is going to bring hair
cells, similar to S & B’s hair cells, to market by 2018. Shishiedo is not
denying those stories. Shisheido is a highly skilled company, and if there
is a way to produce the same kind of cells S & B did, without violating
S & B’s property rights, then Shishiedo is capable of figuring it out.
I think they’ve probably done it. Shishiedo is better suited to
bring this type of hair treatment to market than S & B is.

And I think that there will be other research teams that will also
report advances in hair inductivity and other areas of hair loss
research.

Aderans spent years on an ever-expanding series of phase#2 trials, before shutting down entirely with failure. Their results were crap and they responded by betting higher & higher with more attempts to salvage the situation.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by FatalEvolution[/postedby]
It’s explained here:

3 years is bullsh*t to me … We have had MANY (inifite?) claims regarding the so-called end of hairloss in just a few years.

ALL of those claims turned out to be a bunch a lies.

I bet you a million dollar hair loss is still there in 2018, even in 2028 if you wish ;-)[/quote]

If the 3 yr prediction was provided by a US company then it is Bullsh*t, let s pray that in Japan they have a more friendly regulatory environment .

Based on everything that I’ve read about Japan, they do not.
Quite the opposite in fact, historically it seems their regulatory environment is apparently very strict and rigid. This had me curious as well. I don’t see how it’s possible that this technique could be approved so quickly…
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by blue3[/postedby]
Based on everything that I’ve read about Japan, they do not.
Quite the opposite in fact, historically it seems their regulatory environment is apparently very strict and rigid. This had me curious as well. I don’t see how it’s possible that this technique could be approved so quickly…
Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/quote]

I don’t remember the last time I used a medication or hair product that is made in Japan.

Aren’t we getting good news since 2006? :expressionless:

I wouldn’t bet on Sisheido … the only interest of these firms is to promote their snake oils products and to maintain a continuous buying of their stuff.

They are not interested in a cure because as it does not bring a recurring profit, whereas a snake oil that you apply once a day on your head (and that does nothing) does.

None of this recent talk from Shiseido is about a snake oil product that you have to apply once a day. It’s all about cell-based therapies, implanting live cells.