Q&A with Dr. Paul Kemp, Co-founder and CEO of HairClone

Roger

Thankyou for your very informed question. You raise some very plausible modes of failure and this is one of the main reasons that we want to take it carefully step by step with human studies. If there wasn’t the various pieces of evidence down over the years that this can work to some degree and the critical fact that the hair follicle is a naturally regenerating mini-organ, then a cellular strategy would perhaps not be appropriate and we wouldn’t have formed HairClone. We are of the opinion that this evidence shows that it is possible and that it is the cellular phenotype, or implantation site or recipient response or a combination of all these factors that has, as you suggest, resulted in a sub-optimal (but very importantly not zero) clinical response. All the potential modes of failure are addressable when we know which ones are in fact involved and we are currently beginning to look at all of them in parallel. I agree with you that merely increasing the inductivity of the cells by themselves may not be enough to solve the problem.

That is reassuring, @PKemp, and I am confident that despite the obstacles, you have hit on the right path in doing this research. I think what you mentioned about the hair follicle being a self-regenerating mini-organ, suggests that there is an inherent capacity of the follicle to respond to anabolic stimuli. You’re on the right track with this “parallel” research approach, of discovering just what stimuli are required. Thanks and enjoy the holiday weekend!

I absolutely, totally, 100% respect every last word you have posted at this site. But I have been dealing with hair loss for decades and I’ve had all the fun with this nightmare that I can stand. It’s an emotional issue and I’m fed up with watching my life be destroyed, especially in a totally screwed up world that doesn’t get it that something bad and life-altering has happened to me.

People act like we bald people should still be able to do the things we used to do when we had our hair. For example, I used to EASILY pick up a different attractive woman every night at the clubs and people are acting like I should still be able to do this now without my hair. What a joke. Just how stupid are people anyway?

I want this nightmare over asap.

Take 10 patients and isolate uncultured cells from their donor and reinject them into the balding area. Do the same in a different part of the balding area with medium passaged cells. Now do the same in a third area with unpassaged cells using a “flooding” technique. The latter technique is akin to using the brute force method in order to get around the potential issues you mentioned above.

Strategically advertise your “proof of concept” results for a cure for MPB. Within one year, you’ve proven what’s needed to cure baldness, and you’ve collected plenty of seed money to get a good start.

@James_Bond Agreed, that would be a quick and cost-effective study that a researcher like Dr. Kemp could do, to determine once and for all whether the cell injection method will ever bear fruit. Good suggestion. I hope that he, or someone, will do this.