Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

Hair Loss Myth - Hair on One's Head Serves No Real Purpose Other Than Cosmetic

Lots of myths. One article I read a couple of years ago stated that hair on one’s head serves no real purpose other than cosmetic. Not true. Often, people with full heads of hair view those concerned about their hair loss as vain. Baldness increases a man’s risk of skin cancer on their exposed scalp. There are doctors who recommend avoiding sun exposure as much as possible. I think it’s better to get some sun and avoid sun exposure that causes any burning. Having less pigment (melanin) in your skin provides less protection from damaging UV radiation. If you have blond or red hair and light-colored eyes, and you freckle or sunburn easily, you’re much more likely to develop skin cancer than a person with darker skin. Careful sun exposure increases melanin production and helps protect your skin from actinic keratosis and skin cancer. I’m not sold on some sunscreens. I have read articles stating some sunscreen ingredients can cause skin cancer. One thing I should mention is, be careful to avoid sun exposure after hair transplant surgery.

Chuck at Dr. Cole’s office