Dr. Umar Demonstrates World's First Ultrasonic FUE

Dr. Umar (aka Dr. U) has performed the world’s first ultrasonic FUE hair transplant on afro-textured hair. This history-making debut can be seen in the surgical demonstration below:

Dr. Umar is aware of the need to further advance hair transplant tools for all patients, particularly those considered challenging due to their hair/skin characteristics. Often, patients with tightly-curled, afro-textured hair experience unsatisfactory results from FUE hair transplants due to the inability of conventional rotary punches to navigate the curves of afro-textured hair follicles and overcome tough skin and strong attachment of the follicle to the deep skin. Dr. U previously pioneered the manual Dr.UPunch Curl™ to conquer the vexing issues in afro-textured hair surgery with its sharp, two-pronged, curved punch tip.

See how Dr.UPunch Curl compared in a study published in PRS Global Open.

However, Dr. U knew that there is always room for improvement. This improvement, demonstrated above, is the addition of ultrasound. Dr. U harnesses the energy of ultrasonic waves to vibrate the Dr.UPunch Curl™ at a frequency suited to the particular patient’s tissue profile. This enables the easier extraction of hair follicles which are tightly curled under the skin and which have stronger attachments to the surrounding tissue.

Learn more about this procedure here.

Interesting , is this mostly used for people with African or very curly hair?

Thank you for your question. Yes, this procedure with the Ultrasonic Dr.UPunch Curl was intended to minimize obstacles in African American/ curly-haired FUE. The punch used is sharp, curved, and two-pronged, operated with a non-rotary motion to help navigate curly growth under the skin. However, this is not the only patient group that could benefit from Sonic FUE in the future – read this article for more details.

The video makes it look so easy, I am tempted to give this a try if you hand me the tool :slight_smile:

Very clever, Ultrasonic sounds intimidating but the technology has been used in day to day household devices and appliances all the time. It makes perfect sense that the micro vibration can make donor grafts come out easier with less trauma.

:+1::+1: I am surprised nobody thought about this till now.

Why does the does the drill punch several holes before spitting a graft into the petri dish? Shouldn’t the drill spit out a graft every time it punches a hole?

Thank you for your question – ejecting a graft from the punch is only necessary when the graft is impacted (i.e. stuck in the lumen of the punch). Otherwise, the non-rotary ultrasonic Dr.UPunch Curl separates the hair grafts from the surrounding tissue with each score, to be collected either with the FUE Swipe Maneuver (3:01 - 3:11 in video above) or with forceps (3:14 - 4:05).