9 Month Update, 15,000+ Graft to NW6, BHT/FUE, -KF

Patient KF came for a follow up with a shorter haircut at the 9 month mark.

His case had been discussed on previous threads at 5 months since his surgery:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-20610.html

Relevant excerpts from previous introduction:

Graft Breakdown:
Beard: 6250
Head donor: 3617
Legs/thighs: 2528
Chest: 1647
Abdominal Areas: 900
Arms: 531

Goal:

1. Coverage of the entire NW6 area (crown included) to a NW 0-1 hairline.
  2. The ability to maintain a shorter hair cut without worrying about visible scars (seen in strip HT).
  3. Donor preservation: The ability to harvest donor areas in the future should the need arises, in event of progression to NW 7 and beyond. Over harvesting of head donors is to be avoided.
  4. The absence of cosmetically significant body scarring.

Here are photo updates taken recently at the 9th month mark:

The Hairline

………….

……………

Crown

……………

9-MONTH COLLECTION

There has been a further improvement in density at the 9th month that allows the patient to cut the hair in the transplanted area shorter than he could at the 5 month mark.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

i think in some cases the body hair looks great, in this case personally he looked better before the transplant

then again if the patient is happy thats all that matters

At 9 months

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair

» At 9 months
»
»
»
»
» S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
» DermHair Clinic
» Redondo Beach, California
» +1-310-318-1500
» 1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
» info@dermhairclinic.com
» WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
» Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
» Using Head and Body hair
»
» For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

once again a huge improvement using a combo of donor hairs, this chap could not be helped using traditional donor areas because hairloss was clearly extensive, and i think the guy looks way better and younger as a result of his work, looks great very lucky guy, he is only at 9 months, i believe he will continue to improve

» » At 9 months
» »
» »
»
» »
» »
» » S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
» » DermHair Clinic
» » Redondo Beach, California
» » +1-310-318-1500
» » 1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
» » info@dermhairclinic.com
» » WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
» » Single Follicle Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
» » Using Head and Body hair
» »
» » For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com
»
»
»
» once again a huge improvement using a combo of donor hairs, this chap
» could not be helped using traditional donor areas because hairloss was
» clearly extensive, and i think the guy looks way better and younger as a
» result of his work, looks great very lucky guy, he is only at 9 months, i
» believe he will continue to improve

i agree that the guy has a lot more hair

do you really think it looks natural? after the transplant

look at his hair, as if you just saw the guy in an elevator…you wouldnt do a double take?

to me it looks very odd, a bit like a toupee , the hair line. and the beard hair or something is the grey ones, they look very odd, out of place, too thick as opposed to the surrounding hair. Maybe if he died all his hair one color , and it grows in a bit it will look better, but to me this guys hair looks very strange

Dont get me wrong Dr Umar does great work,
the hairline does look natural when combed back

but from above and back those shots to me the hair looks extremely unnatural,
I would think the guy had a toupee on or had a transplant

this is not the case for most of the Umar transplants I have seen, but for 15000 grafts, to me this result does not impress

» i think in some cases the body hair looks great, in this case personally he
» looked better before the transplant
»
» then again if the patient is happy thats all that matters

Of course his hair is not going to look as it would if all scalp hair, or any in his case, could have been used but evidently he didn’t have any. I am sure he was aware that what hair he did have available would not appear as thick as scalp hair.

I don’t think it looks unnatural at all. Of course you can see that it is thin, but that’s to be expected with the degree of balding that he suffered. It looks as if Dr. Umar replicated the natural whorl pattern of the crown very nicely. If this patient decided to color his hair darker it might even give the illusion of more thickness.

As we all know, that’s one aspect of a hair transplant–an illusion. For someone as bald as he was I’m sure he did not expect his hair to be as thick as a rug–even if he had scalp hair to use.

The point is he had a successful BH transplant, and used what he had available to improve his situation, and like you said, if he is happy with his results that all that matters.

» » i think in some cases the body hair looks great, in this case personally
» he
» » looked better before the transplant
» »
» » then again if the patient is happy thats all that matters
»
» Of course his hair is not going to look as it would if all scalp hair, or
» any in his case, could have been used but evidently he didn’t have any. I
» am sure he was aware that what hair he did have available would not appear
» as thick as scalp hair.
»
» I don’t think it looks unnatural at all. Of course you can see that it is
» thin, but that’s to be expected with the degree of balding that he
» suffered. It looks as if Dr. Umar replicated the natural whorl pattern of
» the crown very nicely. If this patient decided to color his hair darker it
» might even give the illusion of more thickness.
»
» As we all know, that’s one aspect of a hair transplant–an illusion. For
» someone as bald as he was I’m sure he did not expect his hair to be as
» thick as a rug–even if he had scalp hair to use.
»
» The point is he had a successful BH transplant, and used what he had
» available to improve his situation, and like you said, if he is happy with
» his results that all that matters.

i will admit that Dr umar seems to be able to get body hair to grow consistently, which was certainly not the case with some of the early body hair results we saw, from various docs

» i will admit that Dr umar seems to be able to get body hair to grow
» consistently,

You hit the nail on the head there, Hangin’.
How many threads do we see completely denying any positive BHT results?
All you have to do is look at Dr Umars consistent catalogue of BHT only patients, a list which is growing every day (pun sort-of intended)

As for this guy, I think he looks great.
Straight away, you see the difference between an older man and a younger guy, as with all successful transplants, which I’m sure is all that matters to the patient. I don’t think it looks like a toupee at all; quite the contrary, the grey hairs are noticable but to me they enhance the reality. And as stated, he can always dye his hair if he wants.

Good one, Dr U.
Fantastic hairline work too.

This patient looks very natural. There would be a video to illustrate this even further very soon.

I am sure he gets second takes from people…however it is not for the reason you espoused. Rather it is the look of admiration, the type that we all like. His very rich social life speaks to this. To my understanding and actual observation, this patient who typically deals with a very discerning crowd has received nothing but accolades (an understatement).

Body hair tends to be darker than head hair because it is usually covered and less subject to the elements. As the exposure to the elements increases with time, it tends to blend better with the pre-existing head hair. We can dye the hair to hasten the process or simply wait for it to occur naturally. At this time, that is the least of problems to the patient who looks much better and considerably much younger since his new hair started growing months ago.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair

As always nice work Dr. Umar. I see a definite improvement.

» Graft Breakdown:
» Beard: 6250
» Head donor: 3617
» Legs/thighs: 2528
» Chest: 1647
» Abdominal Areas: 900
» Arms: 531

Dr. Umar, can we really get that many beard hairs from a person? 6250? A typo perhaps?

» » Graft Breakdown:
» » Beard: 6250
» » Head donor: 3617
» » Legs/thighs: 2528
» » Chest: 1647
» » Abdominal Areas: 900
» » Arms: 531
»
» Dr. Umar, can we really get that many beard hairs from a person? 6250? A
» typo perhaps?

Steve,

It is not a typo. We can actually get more with a 2nd harvest. In the instance of this patient we can get at least another 4000 if we decide to revisit the beard area. In another patient, we have thus far obtained about 9000+ beard grafts over the course of 3 surgeries.

Also, in this patient, the head donor is barely touched. There is more head hair (at least 4000) to use at will in the future. The same goes for the body donor supply.

Regards,

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair

» » » Graft Breakdown:
» » » Beard: 6250
» » » Head donor: 3617
» » » Legs/thighs: 2528
» » » Chest: 1647
» » » Abdominal Areas: 900
» » » Arms: 531
» »
» » Dr. Umar, can we really get that many beard hairs from a person? 6250?
» A
» » typo perhaps?
»
» Steve,
»
» It is not a typo. We can actually get more with a 2nd harvest. In the
» instance of this patient we can get at least another 4000 if we decide to
» revisit the beard area. In another patient, we have thus far obtained about
» 9000+ beard grafts over the course of 3 surgeries.
»
»
» Also, in this patient, the head donor is barely touched. There is more
» head hair (at least 4000) to use at will in the future. The same goes for
» the body donor supply.
»
»

If this is true then it is good news although I find it hard to believe, you are saying some can spare almost 10,000 beard grafts? The surface area where you can extract beard grafts can’t be greater than traditional scalp donor area. For traditional scalp donor area, the most I have heard is may be 5000 or 6000 grafts, how can you get 10,000 from beard?

»
» If this is true then it is good news although I find it hard to believe,
» you are saying some can spare almost 10,000 beard grafts? The surface area
» where you can extract beard grafts can’t be greater than traditional scalp
» donor area. For traditional scalp donor area, the most I have heard is may
» be 5000 or 6000 grafts, how can you get 10,000 from beard?

John P

Most of what has been stated is based on what has been achieved using SFET already…not speculations. Of course there is variation between individuals in beard hair density and distribution. Thus a blanket rule does not apply.

Unlike head hair were donor preservation entails leaving behind as much hair behind as possible to maintain decent coverage on the back and sides of the head, in facial hair harvesting using the SFET protocol ALL visible hair has been removed with successive surgeries. Thus in some individuals, 6000-9000 grafts have been extracted successfully.

Note that most beard hair follicles are singles while most head hair grafts are doubles and triples. Hence, 1,000 head derived grafts would still be worth much more than 1,000 beard hair in terms of coverage value.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair

» Unlike head hair were donor preservation entails leaving behind as much
» hair behind as possible to maintain decent coverage on the back and sides
» of the head, in facial hair harvesting using the SFET protocol
» ALL visible hair has been removed with successive surgeries. Thus in
» some individuals, 6000-9000 grafts have been extracted successfully.

OK I agree, I haven’t thought about the need for donor preservation for scalp hair.

» » Unlike head hair were donor preservation entails leaving behind as much
» » hair behind as possible to maintain decent coverage on the back and
» sides
» » of the head, in facial hair harvesting using the SFET protocol
» » ALL visible hair has been removed with successive surgeries. Thus
» in
» » some individuals, 6000-9000 grafts have been extracted successfully.
»
» OK I agree, I haven’t thought about the need for donor preservation for
» scalp hair.

ah but the beard hair is coarser, i am in awe that that many beard hair are available, if we had known this yrs ago i could have saved so much of everything, to think he probably never has to shave his mug again, i think he should dye his hair blonde, is he intending to do more? i guess i was initially mistaken stating he had limited donor available,

He looks terrific. Only a bald, or balding man whos spend countless hours online researching every cause of hair loss and every method of hair growth ,would ever take a ‘second look’ at this guy at an elevator or anywhere else. We have formed a radar for this kind of stuff, so we might be able to look at him and say “hmm hes probably had something done”.
Anyways Dr. Umar your a genius, and i might be a potential patient, who knows. Thank God for Doctors like Umar.

» » » Unlike head hair were donor preservation entails leaving behind as
» much
» » » hair behind as possible to maintain decent coverage on the back and
» » sides
» » » of the head, in facial hair harvesting using the SFET protocol
» » » ALL visible hair has been removed with successive surgeries.
» Thus
» » in
» » » some individuals, 6000-9000 grafts have been extracted successfully.
» »
» » OK I agree, I haven’t thought about the need for donor preservation for
» » scalp hair.
»
» ah but the beard hair is coarser, i am in awe that that many beard hair
» are available, if we had known this yrs ago i could have saved so much of
» everything, to think he probably never has to shave his mug again, i think
» he should dye his hair blonde, is he intending to do more? i guess i was
» initially mistaken stating he had limited donor available,

I don’t want to be rude but I don’t buy it,

As one who has had extensive BHT and know the reaslistic expectations that it offers(too many people compare body hair expectations to scalp hair expectations ) - this is for sure excellent work and he has to be ecstatic with this result. Beard hair has definitely had an impact on this case . The reason this is perceived as hard to believe is because groundwork has been broken on territory we have seen very few /to little in the past . Just as with other areas on the body when BHT began - individuals had a hard time beleiving the numbers . I tell people that I have had 17,000 body hair taken from all areas of my body and they still find it hard to comprehend. The same will hold true for beard hair until we see continous cases presented over time and it sinks in that it is real and viable.

Just so that I would know for future reference and use in the future if needed- I had an assesment done of my beard hair on my last visit to Dr Umar in Sept 2007. The evaluation revealed that Dr Umar could extract at least 8000 grafts + from my beard area . Its always nice to know what your options are to achieve the best results . It is nice to know what beard hair counts are available in case I need them later down the road . The beard hair area is very new to BHT but now that pristine extractions can be made and its characteristics most similar to scalp hair versus other BHT sources- its a valuable and viable option.

My life has changed more than I can ever explain after what Dr Umar has done for me using BHT and his continuous efforts to make it work and work better as seen in this case .I was at the dentist last Thursday. My hot little dental hygentist who I see twice a year finished up with me and as I was getting up from the chair she she said - “Your hair looks great- And where are your scars ?”. She was referring to the enormous strip scars that have wrapped my head for years but Dr Umar has done such an excellent job with camoflauging them as much as possible with my body hair over several sessions . Of course they are not invisible because I keep my hair shaved on the sides but the scars are camoflauged very well with the body hair . Her comment made me feel even more thankful what I have been able to achieve to get my life back with no worries of hair loss or feelings of disfigurement anymore .

So glad to see this guy moving forward.Its a great feeling!!!

19,000 grafts by Dr Umar